TestOut vs CBT Nuggets

victorouvictorou Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone have tried them? I'm studying on my 291 now and want to get one of those. But I don't know which one is better, could you guys give me some advices? thanks :D
BS in Information Technology
Certs: A+, Network+, MCP(70-270, 70-290)

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never used TestOut, but I do use CBT Nuggets, and they are very good.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ocrigginsocriggins Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Test Out and my experience, it is not as thorough as it should be. You need an additional resource with it. The simulations are easy to nail and seem to give a little bit of false sense of security.

OC
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets is an excellent source. It'll help you get the foundation of knowledge you need for the exams. I like to watch the nugget series 1st, then read a book or two, and then review the CBT Nuggets again. Add some technet support and other sites such as this one into the mix as well as lots of lab practice, and you should be good to go. (At least this is the way I do it, everybody is different)
    ocriggins wrote:
    You need an additional resource with it.

You should be using multiple study resources regardless of what you use. That is of course unless you already have a bunch of experience and are just taking your MCSE for the hell of it. :P
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In my opinion, the TestOut is the more complete of the two. CBT Nuggets is great, and I really liked using it, but I got a lot more out of the TestOut course. If you're only going to use one, I'd say go for the TestOut, since it gives you the chance to do some hands-on stuff in the sims, as well as videos and testing material.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • victorouvictorou Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you for your advices, guys. I agree that CBT is good for self-study. However, Testout does give me a chance for some hands-on experiences. That helps me to understand the materials well since we have few sims in the exam, right? :D
    BS in Information Technology
    Certs: A+, Network+, MCP(70-270, 70-290)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It helped me a whole lot, I hope it'll do the same for you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ocrigginsocriggins Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Testout does give me a chance for some hands-on experiences.

For test out, remember to go over the stuff in between chapters. It's a big outline of stuff, you need to know. Set yourself of with Virtual Server, that is what I did. It's a lab without all the extra computers laying around. You need a good amount of ram though as each virtual machine requires some.

OC
  • jimi444jimi444 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought Testout was great, just to navigate around the server to complete different objectives. The sims are not the same as what’s on the test, but it does help to get familiar with the environment and what to do.
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Prefer the Nuggets myself. The Testout CBT's I've tried, I found the trainers really dull ZzZzZ!!

IMO Mr Conrad rulez!! :D
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like both but if I had to pick one over the other I would use testout. Matter of fact I'm reviewing the testout for 70-291 right now. IMO the guy that teaches on this series does a great job.
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    davenport wrote:
    I like both but if I had to pick one over the other I would use testout. Matter of fact I'm reviewing the testout for 70-291 right now. IMO the guy that teaches on this series does a great job.

what other resources are you using???
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    homerj742 wrote:
    davenport wrote:

what other resources are you using???

I'm using Mike Myers passport (decent), Learnkey videos (I used Learnkey to pass my 70-290 also), and test out videos.

I'm really liking the test out stuff :)
  • electorelector Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sToNeDcNuT wrote:
    Prefer the Nuggets myself. The Testout CBT's I've tried, I found the trainers really dull ZzZzZ!!

IMO Mr Conrad rulez!! :D

True 100%! Conrad rulez
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    Me likey TestOut. Works well for me. I use MS Press as my backup source and VPC/W2K for a test lab.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nugget gives you "all" the info so you can understand the stuff, but you have to be really awake. What I like about Testout, is the interaction, there is lots of things going on, so you are not just there listening to some boring guys (the worst one is the guy in 270)..... actually most of the demos are done by a lady with a very nice voice (u can't sleep whit that :) ) + the simulations, the tests, the notes ...... I really like that stuff. BUT ...... U need a backup that is for sure

BTW, I like Conrad 2 icon_wink.gif
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mr. Conrad talks really fast, but he is a pretty good instructor...I still wonder where they buried that Indian Chief in the mountains though.

Also, I like the CCNA instructor too. I watched the Subnetting video part of this just because it wasn't clicking with Conrad...."SAVE THE HOSTS" with a fist in the air!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really like him as an instructor. He can talk a little fast at times, but I prefer that over going to slowly. I can very easily pause it or rewind it if I've missed something. It would be harder to speed through a topic you were already familiar with but wanted a review.

He is also very good about getting mundane things done off camera. That way he doesn't waste your time watching something that is very simple and that you already learned. Why watch him configure 6 clients for dhcp? Once you see one, you pretty much have it.

I watched videos from one other instructor and wasn't impressed with them. I watched all the 290's with James and I am currently watching the 291's. Glad that he is doing the 293, 294, and 298.

My only real complaint with nuggets is that it feels like they only teach the material. Not once have I heard anything referring to the test. I'm sure they are walking a fine line between training material and **** material, but would it hurt to stress certain topics with the comment "Know how to do this for the test" or something. James does a lot of extra stuff that is important to know but isn't likely to show up on the test. You would think that he would point that out very clearly, or maybe just point out the objectives on the test as he covers them.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    My only real complaint with nuggets is that it feels like they only teach the material. Not once have I heard anything referring to the test.

Jeremy Cioara does in his CCNA series. He is funny.
  • TrueliesTruelies Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suggest you TestOut and Syngress. I passed today with 828!
    Remember to study WSUS 3.0!
  • walterzengawalterzenga Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    In my opinion, the TestOut is the more complete of the two. CBT Nuggets is great, and I really liked using it, but I got a lot more out of the TestOut course. If you're only going to use one, I'd say go for the TestOut, since it gives you the chance to do some hands-on stuff in the sims, as well as videos and testing material.
    I mainly agree with this. CBT's videos are a little more in-depth (particularly on IPSec and Security Templates) but TestOut offers sims as well as its videos, which are vital to the exam, especially if you dont have access to your own Win2k3 server setup to practise on.

In an ideal world I would recommend both but if the choice was one, I'd go with TestOut
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just realized that this thread is 4 years old... icon_surprised.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I just realized that this thread is 4 years old... icon_surprised.gif

haha, oh well. Most of it still applies today.
    Decide what to be and go be it.