Use a Cisco router for home internet modem?

fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
I was thinking of using a Cisco router for my modem for my home internet access. Kind of a tech geek thing to do, I'd only save $10 a month on the Comcast cable bill, so money isn't the issue.

Any ideas on good models to use? I have 3 2811 routers in my home lab, but they are too big and noisy for this purpose. I need something that a coaxial cable can attach to, and will have enough bandwidth to not get in the way. I don't stream Netflix or do huge downloads all the time, but I do watch some streaming video now and then and youtube a lot.

For the Cisco ISR routers, I tried finding a plug in module that has the coaxial cable fitting, but I didn't see any. How would I attach the coaxial cable to the router?

How about things like firewalls, would any Cisco routers have something built in?

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your cable modem needs to be compatible and an approved model by your ISP. You can't just pickup any random modem and expect it to work.

I would start by checking with your ISP to see what they support.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm assuming it will be something that supports at least DOCSIS3.0... (I believe Cisco only makes a DOCSIS2.0 HWIC)
    Why not just buy a modem and hook your router into the modem......?
    But even with that, you will have to do what iBrokeIT mentioned and verify with your ISP.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and hook it to your Cisco router in DHCP mode unless you pay extra per month for a static IP.
    I go from Comcast > ASUS Docsis 3.0 > Fortinet 90D DHCP and have no issues.
    I wouldnt go straight from Comcast to COAX handoff on a 2801 however.
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    If I got something like this:

Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Gray MB7220 - Best Buy

Would there even be a need for a router after it? Could this have the coax cable come in, then Ethernet out to a switch to go to my wireless and a few computers on Ethernet? What about firewall and security? Does this or a router have anything for that?
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You would still need a router after the modem to point traffic outside of your local (home) network. The all-in-one "routers" for sale at big box electronic stores are actually a bit of a misnomer - they are a router, an Ethernet switch, a wireless access point, a DHCP service, a firewall (usually), and sometimes a few other things all rolled into one box. If you want to duplicate the same functionality using commercial-grade equipment, you would need a dedicated router, a switch, and a WAP at a minimum and I would recommend implementing a firewall of some kind.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought this for the house. Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3 0 Cable Modem Linksys DPC 3008 Comcast TWC Charter Tested 745883594344 | eBay

You can then put whatever you want behind it. I only pay for 15mb internet so no need to buy a high dollar modem.
  • updatepediaupdatepedia Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cisco router is only suitable for big companies as well as institute. it's provide high range, it is very costly too. for home purpose regular modems are best
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally have the ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
    It supports 686 mbps down and 131 mbps up, my ISP provides 120 mbps down and 12 mbps up.

If you want to use a Cisco router your going to have to use a DOCSIS 2.0 HWIC which is limited to around 45mbps down and 30 mbps up.
    On top of the HWIC modem having low performance, the 2811 also has low performance. (61 mbps)
    http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of using an old EoL Cisco router at the core/edge of your home production network.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    The appeal is because it'd be cool to do! Or so I thought. If I have to buy a modem, then hook up a router and configure it to the ISP settings, then also buy a switch, and still have no built in firewall, I'm more likely to say "Ahhhh forget it, not worth the hassle, just give the ISP the $10 a month for their all in one modem / router / switch / DHCP / firewall box".