Options

Would I use IP ROUTE to connect 4 or more routers?

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□

I have 4 separate networks in a ring and would like to be able to ping any computer on any network. The far left router has routes for the top and bottom but I can't seem to get a static route for the far right router. Is there anything I have to do differently for multiple hops?
SS1.jpg 38.1K

Comments

• Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    i recreated your network in picture just took out switches for saving time and all works fine.

i used same scheme 1.0,2.0,3,0,4.0 /24 configured routers used 5.0/30 for serial links and set up clocks bandwidth-then just did ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s2/0 and repeat same with s3/0 on both serial interfaces on each router.

all default routes showing in sh ip route table thus each router having two ways to send data s2/0 or 3/0.

Not sure why thou youd want to use ip route all around since its used more as exit interface to isp or for redundancy thus using smth like rip would be handier.
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    i recreated your network in picture just took out switches for saving time and all works fine.

i used same scheme 1.0,2.0,3,0,4.0 /24 configured routers used 5.0/30 for serial links and set up clocks bandwidth-then just did ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s2/0 and repeat same with s3/0 on both serial interfaces on each router.

all default routes showing in sh ip route table thus each router having two ways to send data s2/0 or 3/0.

Not sure why thou youd want to use ip route all around since its used more as exit interface to isp or for redundancy thus using smth like rip would be handier.

Awesome thanks for the help!
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there anything I have to do differently for multiple hops?
    Yes, each hop needs to know the next hop address for the destination network. With multiple hops, static routes can become a nightmare. Which is why we use routing protocols.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA