Exchange Server 2003

pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
Question: When setting up mailboxes on exchange 2003 server, is the primary task simply going to active directory users and right click on the user and run the exchange wizard?
God deserves my best

Comments

• agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Hi,

Yes, that simple... Remember some things:

1.- Exchange is bound to AD.
    2.- You have to use the ADU&C that was installed with Exchange (normally on the exchange server or on your workstation), since it has the tabs for exchange or starts the wizard
    3.- If you created the account, then you can mailbox enable it using the exchange tasks (right click on the user... in ADU&C)

good luck amigo.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2.- You have to use the ADU&C that was installed with Exchange (normally on the exchange server or on your workstation), since it has the tabs for exchange or starts the wizard
    In case some folks aren't aware, you can install the Exchange tools from the E2K3 CD on any workstation that has the normal admin tools (for ADUC etc.) to enable the Exchange related tabs on user properties.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot guys. Much help
    God deserves my best
    "sprkymrk wrote:
    In case some folks aren't aware, you can install the Exchange tools from the E2K3 CD on any workstation that has the normal admin tools (for ADUC etc.) to enable the Exchange related tabs on user properties.

LOL! I got a call once from an admin saying that there was something wrong with his Ex2003 installation... he said that the AD Schema was corrupted because the Exchange Tabs in the ADU&C in the DC weren't available.

Of course, EX2003 was on another server....

I wonder how many people now about this icon_wink.gif
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    I actually just learned how this was done right now!

I knew how to create mailboxes, but how the tools were installed in say, a domain controller, I was not aware.
    Well thats what you learn from being certified... or actually reading the help file :) .
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    "sprkymrk wrote:

LOL! I got a call once from an admin saying that there was something wrong with his Ex2003 installation... he said that the AD Schema was corrupted because the Exchange Tabs in the ADU&C in the DC weren't available.

Of course, EX2003 was on another server....

I wonder how many people now about this icon_wink.gif

I got that alot also.

Interesting note: When you go through the wizard to add a mailbox to a user, you aren't really creating a mailbox in the store. All you are doing is setting a config on the user object that points to the mailbox that may or may not yet exist. I've often gotten concerns that they went through the process of creating the mailbox, but Exchange failed to create it. They were looking for the mailbox in the store. The store won't have a mailbox for the user until the mailbox actually gets used, such as sending an email, or receiving one. Touching the mailbox with OL will also create the mailbox as OL adds default items to the mailbox.