Certification Journal

cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
It begins again!!!

After multiple starts and stops in my goal to certifying my career, I finally have the motivation to start for the final time!!!

Background: Been an IT consultant for over the past 18 years. Worked mostly in the Messaging/Active Directory/VOIP space going from contract to contract. Started in New Jersey. Moved to California in 2000. Back to NJ in 2003. Moved to Louisiana in 2013. Finally moved to Baltimore/Washington DC area back in October. I've seen 43 states and 7 countries. But through all this time, I have never held a certification of any kind.

Current status: Just started full time salaried role working as a DoD contractor in the Washington DC area only 4 months after having major back reconstruction surgery. The reason I am finally jumping on the certification bandwagon? It is a DoD requirement. Need to take my Security+ and CCNA-Security Exams over the next 3 months. Otherwise, no job. I figure after passing these two exams, I will be in the zone, so I will begin my journey to my Exchange, Lync (skype), and Office 365 Exams.

Also found out that my company may be putting me through F5, VmWare, and a bunch of other CyberSecurity certs as well. I guess it pays to have worked as an architect in multiple areas. Only catch is that now I have to back it up with certifications.

I will use this as my main page for logging my progress. I will also create individual study posts for my progress on each individual cert as I study for and take them. Good way to keep myself honest. Wish me luck. Going to be a crazy next 6 months.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Welcome to Maryland! Where in the area (you can just say county--)? Ah yes, the DoD requirement.. Good luck!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Howard County. About 10 miles SW of Baltimore. Commuting to Ft. Belvoir, VA twice a week. Fun fun...
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Cool (I am in Frederick County). At least it is twice a week. icon_silent.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good Luck!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wish you all the best.
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    cknapp78 wrote: »
    Need to take my Security+ and CCNA-Security Exams over the next 3 months. Otherwise, no job. I figure after passing these two exams, I will be in the zone, so I will begin my journey to my Exchange, Lync (skype), and Office 365 Exams.

You mean three exams. You need to pass CCNA before going for CCNA:S.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you can take that after the CCENT, but yes, three exams still.
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastic. Still waiting for the FSO to get back to me and let me know. So now I have 3 exams that are completely unrelated to my career :)