Weird Home network Issue?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Hi All,

I have recently got a wired network installed at my house. The cable I used was cat6 ftp cable.

I bought a cat 6 patch panel from ebay.
The router I'm using is a technicolor tg.

So the issue I see is very odd,

I can use the cat5 testing kit from one side to the other and it shows me that all 8 wires are working fine. So I know things are working. Now when I connect that port on the patch panel directly to the router and it's correspondent wall port to the laptop I get nothing, no dhcp address. But I can connect my laptop directly to the router and I definitely get a dhcp address.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong? The end cables I'm using are cat5 which are connected to the cat6 patch panel. I've used cat 6 cables too but still no luck.

What could be wrong? Both sides are configured in B wiring.

Any advice? Maybe I've got a dodgy patch panel?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you paid someone to install cables in your house and those cables aren't working. Contact the installer.
    If you did it yourself, try re-terminating the wires with less exposed wiring.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
    Priston wrote: »
    If you paid someone to install cables in your house and those cables aren't working. Contact the installer.
    If you did it yourself, try re-terminating the wires with less exposed wiring.

Checked the end ports on the wall all wiring is spot on.
    The tester is happy too.
    Not sure what's going
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you use the 5 dollar cable tester that only tests continuity? or did you use a real cable tester that can certify the cable is good?

How far is the outer jacket stripped back?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    Did you use the 5 dollar cable tester that only tests continuity? or did you use a real cable tester that can certify the cable is good?

How far is the outer jacket stripped back?

No I got the tester that tells if it's non parallel, crossover etc not the cheap stuff. Also, the outer Jack is cut roughly to half a finger size.
    Also the tester says connected and non parallel. What's non parallel?
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not a whole lot that could be wrong. Test both patch cables by using them to connect your computer directly to the router. If you can connect like that you know your problem lies in the patch panel, inside wiring, or the telecom outlet.

Like other people have mentioned reterminating at the patch panel and the telecom outlet should fix the problem if the patch cables are good.

If you're not using a $10,000 certifier then you are using a cheap tester. Even a Byte Brothers Real World "Certifier" at $500 is not a certifier because it doesn't measure all of the things you need to measure to certify a cable to standards with NEXT and FEXT being some of them.

The only other thing it might be is if you have some heavy EMI source in your house and your new cable is running right next to it. Also, not everything that says CAT6 is always great. I've heard of cases of cable being touted as CAT6, but it couldn't even pass CAT5e standards.
    Can I use a cat5e patch panel with cat6 utp cable set up at home?
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Beany wrote: »
    Also the tester says connected and non parallel. What's non parallel?

Your wire is not correct.

"You may also sometimes have the result as NON PARALLEL, it means either you have put two or more wires in different slots in Patch/ Socket or completely have put two different connections at both ends T568A in Socket and T568B in Patch and vice versa. Check that you have done it right and Hit the test button to have the desired result."

Quoted from this blog

https://touchtechblogdotcom.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/patch-panel/