CCNP: Route - Am I ready

SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
So, this last week I have nailed down big time with studying, hitting about 4 -5 hours each day. I'm loving it and the motivation is back.

My question is, am I ready? I am confident with redistribution, OSPF, CEF, IPSLA, Netflow, EIGRP(ish), BGP. The only big thing I am yet to cover fully is IPv6 which is going to get done shortly. I am going to continue to lab but i am cautious of wasting £200 and failing!

Any advise?
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Must learn your IPv6. Cisco went heavy on IPv6 in CCNP exams. Also, make sure you do some route redistribution labs on your own also. This test is not easy I'd tell you. I took mine August of last year. I had some horrible sims. But thannk God, I passed the first time. Good Luck!
  • lucky143lucky143 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone,

Planning to take my CCNP route by mid of next month. Started reading Cisco Press.
    Please share your suggestions on how to prepare well for this exam.

Look forward to hear for suggestion and exam taking tips.

Thanks
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    For the IPv6 stuff you need to know address classes, prefixes, DHCP, Stateless Address Autoconfiguration, ND and its message types, and fun stuff like the multicast addresses for routing protocols - which isn't too hard if you know the ipv4 equivalents, also any differences in how protocols work between ipv4 and ipv6 (ospfv3 for example) and the interactions between ipv4 and ipv6 eg NAT and tunnelling. There's likely a bunch of other stuff that I'm missing.

So, yeah, you think you have it down and then realise how much ipv6 stuff there is.

What I've noticed about IPv6, is that the more you know about it, the more advantages you realise it has. It's not just about bigger address space. It's a pity that it isn't more widely implemented within enterprises.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I noticed you indicated you "started reading Cisco Press" ... I'd image that means you are either reading the OCG or FLG books or both. Not any one of us can realistically say you are ready and should go take the test, this is something you are going to have to discover in yourself.

With that said what materials have you been using to prepare? This might help us give you some pointers on other resources to use to prepare before the test.

In the end I don't think any one of us can possibly say with 100% confidence that we are ready and will pass first attempt at the test. Like with any Cisco test there will be some unknowns until you see it, so my suggestion is cover the blue print, rate yourself on your level of understanding, and focus on your weak spots before the exam. Get all those categories to the same level of understanding and give the test a crack!

Good Luck!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi