I did it... I got a new job!

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
Today, I got offered my dream job in Digital Forensics. I've been trying to get away from SOC jobs for 2 years now. Once you get a SOC job, getting out of it is nigh on impossible. Seriously, the amount of work i've had to do is unbelievable.

The job is 150 miles away so I will obviously have to rent nearby, which isn't a problem because i'm 26 and was temporarily living with parents until I found a new gig. They'll be training me in all kinds of forensic tools and I should gain some very good experience there.

For anyone else looking for a new job - these things can take time. Don't give up. I was close to giving up but I kept positive and kept pushing for a position I wanted and it paid off.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the new gig. What context of forensics will you be working on (Corporate, Law enforcement, etc.)?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congratsicon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Congrats on the new gig. What context of forensics will you be working on (Corporate, Law enforcement, etc.)?

Law enforcement.

Thanks guys
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome, congrats!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I hope this proves to be a much better environment for you!
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice, congrats!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job si20!! I know you've been trying like hell to get out of the SOC.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! That sounds like a dream job. One of my goals is to get into forensics. Hope it's a great move for you.
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, sounds like a really cool job!
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Congrats on finally making it out of that SOC. Good luck on the new job!
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, that's awesome!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Well done on staying the course and landing the right job.
    If you are moving to a new place then it is a good opportunity to take more time to dig deep into the areas that interest you, then use this jump start to plan your next career moves in the coming years.
    I hope it turns out to be all you wanted.
    Iain
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, great to hear you got sorted.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Terminator XTerminator X Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job. Hope it's everything you'd hope it would be.
    -Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic-
    ~Unknown
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your posts! Those who have saw my threads know how bad I wanted to get out of the SOC!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. The hard work really does pay off.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice one matey which force you working for? i used to work for the met
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats! That is my dream job but I do not even know where to start.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations! You never gave up on your dream and it paid off!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Congrats![/FONT]
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    si20 wrote: »
    For anyone else looking for a new job - these things can take time. Don't give up. I was close to giving up but I kept positive and kept pushing for a position I wanted and it paid off.

Tell me about it icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, congrats, you have the right attitude and skills, you earned it fair and square!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, I think I remember you being restless in your current (now previous) employment.

Can you talk about the interview process? What sort of experience and preparation did you have coming into forensics?
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember reading your old thread which makes me happy to read this one. Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Sheiko37 wrote: »
    Congratulations, I think I remember you being restless in your current (now previous) employment.

Can you talk about the interview process? What sort of experience and preparation did you have coming into forensics?

Yeah sure! Basically, a law enforcement role usually requires an exam followed by an interview, however, this particular job is a 6-12 month contract with the police with the vision of going permanent. This might worry some people - me included at first, but now, I see it as a massive advantage. Once i've had once year's worth of experience dealing with the day to day tasks that forensics involves e.g imaging, following guidelines, case prep etc I'll be able to move to another police force or private company. And because it's only a temporary contract, it wouldn't look bad on my CV if I did end up moving (but this is stuff I need to think about next year).

The interview process was simple, as I mentioned above, it was one telephone interview. They were keen to understand what i've done with forensics so far. So, here is what i've done: I studied Computer Forensics at BSc level for 3 years. I covered android, blackberry and iOS forensics. I did windows forensics and some linux forensics. I then started a Master's degree (whilst I was working full time) and will obtain my PGCert (post graduate certificate) in forensics. The BSc degree covered the industry standard tools e.g EnCase, FTK etc whilst the MSc looked at open source forensics tools.

For my final year project, I created forensic software in python which would extract exif data from photographs and place them into google earth. It was more of a proof-of-concept rather than anything - but I managed it. All of this information i've just mentioned seemed to make the interview go well.. The #1 question you get when in a forensic interview is: "How can you deal with abusive imagery?" and you just have to convince them that yes, it's very bad but you'll cope because of x, y and z.

To answer your final question, i've not worked in forensics before, but you can check out my linkedin profile here and check out my github here where I tend to release any scripts I create.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @Si20 very impressive portfolio mate!

Did you think the degrees in forensics were worth the money? I hear theyre very expensive
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    @Si20 very impressive portfolio mate!

Did you think the degrees in forensics were worth the money? I hear theyre very expensive

Thanks! That's a good question and I can only speak for the UK, but in the UK, it's almost impossible to land an interview with a forensic company without having a degree. I've heard stories that it has been done, but it's incredibly rare. A BSc degree should be enough, from a university where the lecturers have had experience in the field.

I find that the unsuccessful applicants tend to be the ones who have studied under someone who is a forensic hobbyist. I was lucky to have been taught by an expert with years of experience. My MSc degree though - not so much. I was taught by guys who hadn't worked in industry and it showed. So my advice to anyone looking for a degree: research the lecturers themselves - not just whether the university has a good rep!
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are soc's really THAT bad??