Options

What's the quickest way to get BS degree in WGU?

couponcoupon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm planing to study Bachelor of Science Information Technology—Security in WGU which is the CCNA path. I don't want to spend too much time in WGU, mostly from financial stand point to save money, since I only getting minimum wage.

I have A+, Network+ and Security+ certificates also one MCP server 2012, don't know how much credit can be transfer.
The only thing I can think of is study and prepare for the CCNA and CCNA Security exams before start WGU, so once enroll in the program I will be ready to take the CCNA and CCNA security exams.

I know some people completed in 6 months WGU and I'm willing to spend the time studying. What's the quickest way to get BS degree in WGU?

Thank you for your tips, I'm very appreciate for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Test quickly? There isn't a magic formula really. If you have a lot of past experience and test well you can accelerate pretty quickly.

If your certs are recent enough they count, if you have past college credit that helps knock out a lot too. If you're starting from total scratch and fairly new to IT 6 months is an (almost) impossible time frame.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The CCNA is going to be 3 courses. That is no where near the bulk of the classes. I would suggest getting your transfer credits and course credit for your current certs done, and then get the degree plan from them so you know what courses you will have left to complete.

After that yes you can study/prepare ahead of time. But If you are on minimum wage I would think you should qualify for a large portion of the pell grant which more than covers the cost of WGU. So your out of pocket should be close to nill. It would make more sense to just take your time and actually learn the material.

The people that complete it in 6 months have a lot of transfer credits. Or they have a lot of free time to study and put in 40 hours a week on their classes. Or they already knew the material through experience.

I would look into the pell grant first if I were you, or any other grants your state may offer.
  • Options
    couponcoupon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, you are right, I should check the pell grant and take my time and actually learn the material.
  • Options
    Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    The CCNA is going to be 3 courses. That is no where near the bulk of the classes. I would suggest getting your transfer credits and course credit for your current certs done, and then get the degree plan from them so you know what courses you will have left to complete.

After that yes you can study/prepare ahead of time. But If you are on minimum wage I would think you should qualify for a large portion of the pell grant which more than covers the cost of WGU. So your out of pocket should be close to nill. It would make more sense to just take your time and actually learn the material.

The people that complete it in 6 months have a lot of transfer credits. Or they have a lot of free time to study and put in 40 hours a week on their classes. Or they already knew the material through experience.

I would look into the pell grant first if I were you, or any other grants your state may offer.

Hats off off to you, awesome advice.