CCNA with Associate degree and no experience?

xxhieixxxxhieixx Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all! Need some job/salary advice here.

So I've already taken the CCNA and didn't pass but am rescheduling in May. I was pretty close on passing and don't think it'll be an issue this time. When this current semester ends (this week) I have one class left before I get my Network Admin degree and have taken all 4 Cisco Academy classes. Also have active directory, Windows server, VM, and UNIX scripting experience from classes.

Anyway, I got offered a contract job that only pays $13.25 for tier 1 help desk. Now most of these positions pay $15 and I would be starting this job after I take my CCNA test again. I've had other interviews but never get called back and I'm worried about passing this job up. However, from what I've researched and heard from other students I should be making $17-$18 an hour with CCNA and no experience (well I DO have some from Cisco Academy).

I also haven't gone into an interview yet and do plan on asking if I'd get a pay bump with having this certification. So wanted some advice here in case I get told I won't receive a pay increase.

What would the rest of you do in my position? Is $13.25 too low or should I jump on this opportunity?

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, if it's the only job you can get a call back on, your options are this or unemployment. You can always just gain some experience, then use it to get some interviews elsewhere.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You have to start somewhere. Go in and learn as much as you can.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The one thing you are lacking is experience, so this is kind of a no-brainer. Take the job but keep looking, especially once you have some experience under your belt. Also, don't expect to be able to negotiate your rate based on certs that you don't have.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the job especially if it's IT related.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I started out with CCENT at $12.50 an hour. It really depends on your regional area and cost of living.

And at some point, you need to take that first step. Especially if it's the only offer you have.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I had an AAS, CCNA, A+, N+, and MCP. I started in IT by fixing printers.

Take the job you can get to get experience and after 6 months to a year look to move to a job more in your field but you will at least have experience.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started out with CCENT at $12.50 an hour. It really depends on your regional area and cost of living.

And at some point, you need to take that first step. Especially if it's the only offer you have.

This x2.

I started at $12 at a call center that did remote support (SUPER basic stuff like clearing browser cache and restarting pc), but it gets you experience. A few months later I got a job paying about $16 with way more responsibility and moved my way up from there. If you can afford it I say go for it. Having that first job on there with a CCNA and Associate's will make your resume look pretty good. After a few months you can start looking at other opportunities and get a pay increase most likely.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take the job!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    xxhieixx wrote: »
    I've researched and heard from other students I should be making $17-$18 an hour with CCNA and no experience (well I DO have some from Cisco Academy).

A certification doesn't automatically put you in a higher income bracket and classroom experience is only going to take you so far. Get the real-world experience in a work environment. That, along with your certs, will help you move on to bigger and better things in the future :)
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I must echo what has already been said. Experience without certificate is usually worth more than the other way around. Everyone has to start somewhere. You already have half the equation, just need to get some experience in! Once you get a bit of experience, 6 months to a year, you will be able to move up into a better paying position. You already have an opportunity so I would recommend jumping for it. A lot of people struggle to get their foot in the door because that initial experience is hard to get.
  • xxhieixxxxhieixx Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. The only issue is if I DO take this job I can't keep looking since it's a 4 year contract job (unless I heard her wrong). The only thing I could think to do is get something in writing to where I would know I wouldn't be stuck at $13.25 an hour. I voiced this concern over the phone and was told the same thing I'm always told about moving up through IT (it's based on the person, always room for advancement...etc).

I guess I won't be so picky from here on out though. I'll definitely go into the contract thing with them some more and if I decide I don't want to do this I'll keep an open mind on salary for the future.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    take the job. That cost of pay depends on location and experience.
    take it then use that a stepping stone.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You can't be that picky if you don't have experience yet. Take the job. After a year, if you don't have a raise, send out resumes.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Contract positions are great when you want to treat them as stepping stones because you have a great excuse when the "why do you want to leave your current job" question comes up. "Well, I am currently a contractor with no room for advancement..." then use that to explain why you believe they would benefit from having you as a full time employee.
  • YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most level 1 positions expect a quick turnover, so taking it, then looking after 6 -12 months is a no brainer. One day, years later when you're in a Sr position you'll look back and laugh at your expectations with no experience.

Oh and 4 year contract is not your 4 year contract, that's between the contracting company and the client, you can leave when you please.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Bingo! Exactly what above said.

4 years doesn't bind you to a contract for 4 years.
    I'd take it if it looks interesting for you and in 6 months to a year look for something better.