Cybrary CISSP Training Video Discussion + CISSP Journey

ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
I finally started studying for the CISSP on Sunday! I just finished the Cybrary CISSP Training Videos. My thoughts so far:

Overall, I really enjoyed listening to the instructor Kelly. The first 3 chapters were rough to get through. I kept having to rewind as I would day dream or want to sleep. Probably because I had to get into that study zone again. The last 4-5 chapters I flew right through with mostly full engagement. It was nice to have a quick overall understanding of the CISSP as a whole and the 8 domains.

I passed the CEH in the end of September 2015. 5 of the domains were more like a review it seemed since CEH covered them more deeply. There were a few things/terms not covered on my CEH studies so I took notes of those of course. I will just need to spend 1 entire day to fully memorized/internalize once again the IOS layers, PDU, different type of attacks and their description. The overall CONCEPTS I feel that I understand pretty thoroughly.

I have been doing IT professionally since 2005. Had a IT Consulting company where I setup firewalls, IDS with pfsense, setup wi-fi for hotels, small businesses, setup surveillance cameras and hundreds of different things. Whatever I could do to make money. Then for 4 years I did IT for a large US government agency. Even though technically I was Desktop Support for 2-3 years before going into management I did everything. Networking, Active Directory, would go to the security department when had nothing to do and bug them to teach me stuff, also was heavily involved with the HSPD12 project when we first started using them with computers. Almost exclusively dealt with some of the top secret departments and there data. Directly worked with SOC and other security teams on various 0-day threats especially various strains ransomware. Anyways, my point is that all this stuff helped me understand/comprehend the other 2 domains pretty well.

The main thing I will have to study is Software Development Security. Have zero experience in that area. I also don't feel as comfortable with BCP, DRP and BIA. Even though I have come across them a bit at work.

Next step is to tackle the Sybex 7th edition book. My goal is to finish it by Friday May 6th. I will be highlighting and taking notes naturally. Then do 1 week of practice exams (thinking about CCCURE) so that way I can review/identify topics I am still not understanding then take the exam mid May. In summary, hopefully I can bang out this exam 2 weeks from today.

What are your thoughts? Am I being overconfident because possibly Cybrary is not a accurate representation of the exam? Or is the CISSP just over hyped and not as hard if you have the job experience and previous security certs? Before studying anything I did the Sybex assessment test and scored 80% which I thought was decent since I could hardly recall the CEH stuff until the Cybrary review. My mentality is great so far, I know I have to continue WORKING HARD non-stop and having a goal of getting the cert under a month seems so much more do-able then the typical 3-9 months some of my friends have been doing. I can't stay on track for such long time period like that! I always had better grades back in college for summer/winter classes since you went to class everyday and had a test every week. I am trying to emulate the same thing by studying EVERYDAY.

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ZzBloopzZ wrote: »
    I finally started studying for the CISSP on Sunday! I just finished the Cybrary CISSP Training Videos. My thoughts so far:

Overall, I really enjoyed listening to the instructor Kelly. The first 3 chapters were rough to get through. I kept having to rewind as I would day dream or want to sleep. Probably because I had to get into that study zone again. The last 4-5 chapters I flew right through with mostly full engagement. It was nice to have a quick overall understanding of the CISSP as a whole and the 8 domains.

I passed the CEH in the end of September 2015. 5 of the domains were more like a review it seemed since CEH covered them more deeply. There were a few things/terms not covered on my CEH studies so I took notes of those of course. I will just need to spend 1 entire day to fully memorized/internalize once again the IOS layers, PDU, different type of attacks and their description. The overall CONCEPTS I feel that I understand pretty thoroughly.

I have been doing IT professionally since 2005. Had a IT Consulting company where I setup firewalls, IDS with pfsense, setup wi-fi for hotels, small businesses, setup surveillance cameras and hundreds of different things. Whatever I could do to make money. Then for 4 years I did IT for a large US government agency. Even though technically I was Desktop Support for 2-3 years before going into management I did everything. Networking, Active Directory, would go to the security department when had nothing to do and bug them to teach me stuff, also was heavily involved with the HSPD12 project when we first started using them with computers. Almost exclusively dealt with some of the top secret departments and there data. Directly worked with SOC and other security teams on various 0-day threats especially various strains ransomware. Anyways, my point is that all this stuff helped me understand/comprehend the other 2 domains pretty well.

The main thing I will have to study is Software Development Security. Have zero experience in that area. I also don't feel as comfortable with BCP, DRP and BIA. Even though I have come across them a bit at work.

Next step is to tackle the Sybex 7th edition book. My goal is to finish it by Friday May 6th. I will be highlighting and taking notes naturally. Then do 1 week of practice exams (thinking about CCCURE) so that way I can review/identify topics I am still not understanding then take the exam mid May. In summary, hopefully I can bang out this exam 2 weeks from today.

What are your thoughts? Am I being overconfident because possibly Cybrary is not a accurate representation of the exam? Or is the CISSP just over hyped and not as hard if you have the job experience and previous security certs? Before studying anything I did the Sybex assessment test and scored 80% which I thought was decent since I could hardly recall the CEH stuff until the Cybrary review. My mentality is great so far, I know I have to continue WORKING HARD non-stop and having a goal of getting the cert under a month seems so much more do-able then the typical 3-9 months some of my friends have been doing. I can't stay on track for such long time period like that! I always had better grades back in college for summer/winter classes since you went to class everyday and had a test every week. I am trying to emulate the same thing by studying EVERYDAY.

I think you can have success in an abbreviated time frame. I would supplement the CCCURE exams with the McGraw Hill along with Sybex. If you take your technical knowledge and apply a managerial mindset, it shouldn't be an issue. Pay particular attention to Identity Mgmt and Cloud. They can be tested extensively.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Thanks so much for your feedback!

Is this the proper link for the McGraw Hill exams? https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl

Edit: Do you have your CISSP? If so, you should update your proflie certs. :c)
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ZzBloopzZ wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your feedback!

Is this the proper link for the McGraw Hill exams? https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl

Edit: Do you have your CISSP? If so, you should update your proflie certs. :c)

thats the one. I am waiting on my endorsement review. 4 weeks tomorrow. Latest word is that it has been taking 6.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Ertaz wrote: »
    thats the one. I am waiting on my endorsement review. 4 weeks tomorrow. Latest word is that it has been taking 6.

Congrats on passing my friend!!!

Do you think I even need CCCure? Like should the McGraw Hill and Sybex quizes/exams be enough? The issue is I am living off of my life savings since the summer of 2015. But if it definitely helped then I will pay for a 1 month subscription.

Thanks!