Should I stay or should i go?

TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I dont know what to do and come to seek wisdom from the forum Gods. I'm in my mid 20s. currently stuck at a dead end IT job working for a radiography company. My typical day consist of setting up 5-6 PACS servers with Xray processors. aside from that im resetting users account in AD. fixing VMs ,VDI, network printers issues. I also get dragged along to take support calls and after hours support. the pay is horrible. 33K. basically i have all these responsibilities and liabilities yet no authority.

its a fairly small company. around 25 employees. Aside from my boss, there really is no other technical person. So i finally decided enough is enough and fixed my resume. i applied on Dice and have gotten alot of phone interviews. i have some face to face interviews lined up next week. the end of the month is always overwhelming. i was swamped with work/so fed up i told my boss i have a job lined up making 48k ( i actually dont ). he was shocked and said the most they can do is 38.5. restructure things etc

I honestly feel like quitting due to the fact that i have threaten you just to get a raise. i feel like im over worked and very underpaid. Should i accept the raise to 38,500 or just keep applying and find something else? I don't think i will have a problem finding a job. i just dont think i can find one that will pay me what i'm worth. then again, i don't really know how much im worth. this job makes me feel worthless, Thank you all for your time and i appreciate any feedback

Comments

• Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's usually easier to get a job while you're employed then not. If unemployed you'll be asked why, and some companies may put you lower on the list for consideration. Not saying I like it, just the way things are sometimes.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should i accept the raise to 38,500 or just keep applying and find something else?

Do both. You'll get more and better offers if you apply elsewhere while you're still working. And don't let anyone get you down! You're NOT worthless, you're just underpaid and under-compensated!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    If you are not happy and do not see a future there, then move on. Why you decided to lie to your boss I don't know, be smart about this. If you dont like the company or the environment, the raise is not worth it.

You have experience in radiology server configs so apply elsewhere in the healthcare field.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Although it's difficult to move on to another job after being in a cush role for a while; I can absolutely attest and say that your situation will NOT get better with more money. Do yourself and career a favor and move on, but don't quit your job. Take the extra money and do what White Wizard said and apply for IT jobs in healthcare.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the raise, and continue searching for a new job.
  • KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the raise, and continue searching for a new job.
    This. As someone who is unemployed looking for a job it is much better to be working and looking so you can take your time to find the right next position. And you IMO are very underpaid. Use this time to get some more certs, you will need them to get your next job. See if your current company has any education dollars you could use for training and certs (although they may be hesitant to invest in you if they know you are looking).
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you ALL for the advise. I do feel like an completely ass for bluffing on having another job. but this job has pushed me in that direction. Its not a surprise to anyone at my job that i'm looking for something else. My co workers are dropping like flies left and right. we had our technical support manager quit last week. he was promised a raise and incentives after 3 months. nothing happened so he left. the company is small so if one person leaves, its a huge impact.

Personally 38,500 is an ok increase, i just dont know if it will keep me here any longer. Im going to to counter and ask for more. If things dont go my way its a lession learned, i will be nice about it and give them a month notice. i'm still going to keep looking. if it turns out im out of a job. I can focus on studying for Certs, hit the gym, lose some weight, find a girl and rock her world. who knows. Thank you all. I will let you know what the verdict is tonight and what happened
    Decided to decline the raise. asked for more. Boss is furious, he thinks im taking advantage. just landed an position with my desired amount and its 5 min commute.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    So you did find another job?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what really bothers me about this post is the fact that you lied to your current employer. I understand about jobs that push you to this point but you are better off finding new employment and try and give it your best at current employer. I have been in your situation at your age and I never lied to my manager about having another job unless I did. I did have one manager that would rag me all day and when I had satisfaction of telling him I had a new job he asked where and actually applied there too and I was his boss :) We became best of friends to this day still :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    I had 2 interviews on Monday. One is a government contract 1099 no benefits. This interview went very well. They reached out to me 3 times yesterday via telephone. They are eager to have me start. being that is a gov. Contract. The hiring process will drag.

My other interview was for a marketing company. They matched my desired salary. I put in my 2 weeks Las Friday at my current job. This stirred the pot at work. On Monday. I tried to re negotiate their offer at work One owner said it's ridiculous how they would let me go over a 3k difference. The other owner feels I'm just tryna squeeze every penny and get a higher raise ( true with reasoning ).

I do feel bad for lying and leaving the way I am. I like my job, it's just that there's no structure, no backbone. they operator and micro manage everything. We have over 500 system out on the field and only 2 people doing technical support? I pump out 20 systems a week. This place only cares about sales and numbers. But when it comes to their employees, they skimp out on paying us fairly.

There's no future here for me. And even If I got the 48k. That would only keep me satisfied for a 1yr or so. I have no room to grow and could use my skill set elsewhere. If your having issues landing a job. Look on dice, indeed and craigslist.

I've applied to over 30 places and my viocemail and email are filled with interview request. Thank you all for takinG the time to read and provide feedback
  • clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 to this, but it is what it is.

Also, does anyone else sing the title of this thread in their head to the song by The Clash? song is now stuck in my head icon_eek.gif

Every single time I read it. Not a bad thing, though. Great song.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 to this, but it is what it is.

Also, does anyone else sing the title of this thread in their head to the song by The Clash? song is now stuck in my head icon_eek.gif

LOL thanks now stuck in my head :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had 2 interviews on Monday. One is a government contract 1099 no benefits. This interview went very well. They reached out to me 3 times yesterday via telephone. They are eager to have me start. being that is a gov. Contract. The hiring process will drag.

My other interview was for a marketing company. They matched my desired salary. I put in my 2 weeks Las Friday at my current job. This stirred the pot at work. On Monday. I tried to re negotiate their offer at work One owner said it's ridiculous how they would let me go over a 3k difference. The other owner feels I'm just tryna squeeze every penny and get a higher raise ( true with reasoning ).

I do feel bad for lying and leaving the way I am. I like my job, it's just that there's no structure, no backbone. they operator and micro manage everything. We have over 500 system out on the field and only 2 people doing technical support? I pump out 20 systems a week. This place only cares about sales and numbers. But when it comes to their employees, they skimp out on paying us fairly.

There's no future here for me. And even If I got the 48k. That would only keep me satisfied for a 1yr or so. I have no room to grow and could use my skill set elsewhere. If your having issues landing a job. Look on dice, indeed and craigslist.

I've applied to over 30 places and my viocemail and email are filled with interview request. Thank you all for takinG the time to read and provide feedback

Congratulations on the opportunities. I would chalk up the lying piece to a lessons learned and I would definitely get any idea of entertaining a counter-offer out of your head. It shouldn't take you getting a new job to get an increase if you're a good employee. Finish your two weeks, be professional and thank them for the opportunity before leaving on your last day.