The Market is hot. New Job!

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey all,

Just wanted to share some good news.

After 18 months in my current contract, I was contacted by a former employee who I managed at a previous location, who was still working there. He informed me that there was a position in IT Security and that he thought that his new/current manager would love someone like me. (He's moved between two other groups since I've left and found himself on the Security team a month ago.)

Long story short, I was getting ready to convert at my current place, but was able to fetch interview, offer, and get everything done, and will be going back as an IT Security Analyst, doing IPS/IDS,vulnerability,compliance, audits, and network monitoring. This is what I was hoping for as I am in WGU for IT Security, and plan on getting OSCP and CISSP within next 12 months.

I am really excited. They Hired me FTE right out the box, and no vulture staffing agencies were involved. I am ecstatic that I get to start my new chapter in Security, however I am a little intimated knowing that the years of Windows Engineering skills I built up will start to fade.

Time to study!
icon_study.gificon_study.gif

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Trust me when i say this, but your Windows skills will not fade in IT Security. In fact, this is where they will show even more.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, it's going around for sure! Agree with TheFORCE, you won't be doing deployments or anything but I use my windows knowledge all the time in Security, being a mostly windows shop of course.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! All these "got a new job" posting are getting me all worked up.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Very awesome!!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job! Love seeing the new job sprees going on.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gz! Hopefully the pay is good as well!
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Congrats!
    Man that time went fast I remember you just getting that contract job.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    CONGRATS!!! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

And CONGRATS again for not having to deal with a sleazy recruiter!!!! that is the best part!

icon_study.gif
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! Way to go icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats @Chitownjedi!! That sounds like an awesome opportunity.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While some skill aspects may fade, others will be enhanced. I'm guessing you'll likely be folding in a lot of different skill areas together and making sense of the overwhelming currents within the ocean that is IT security. Details, details, details. The never-ending mess. New vulnerabilities that you'll be behind months in patching. The radar never stops beeping. Poor signal-to-noise ratio. You feel like you're sinking, but you're really just swimming against the tide.

Welcome to the terrordome.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! All these new job posts are motivating.