Unemployed, depressed, and need advice

johnnyqt25johnnyqt25 Banned Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was laid off about 6 months ago from a desktop support position. I'm kinda glad I did because that job was soul-crushing. Dealing with stupid users who kept calling me even though I keep telling them to open a ticket with the help desk first! A manager who didn't know the difference between bits and bytes. How she got the role to manage 15+ techs still boggles my mind. Absolutely no room for advancement. Some of the other techs were in their late 40's - 50's and they were like drones. Perhaps they've been told one too many times that "just be thankful you even have a job in this economy." And probably worst of all, the sour smell when I crawl under their desks. I almost puked one time helping an obese woman who had a half-eaten hamburger under her desk for who knows how long. And she never noticed the smell. OMFG...

Anyway, I've been productive during my "vacation" though. I got the Network+ and Security+ certs and working on the CCENT/CCNA now. This is all good, but I have a problem. My wife is nagging me to get another job asap. I'm still collecting unemployment, but it's not enough. We're gonna be short on rent this month. I might have to borrow money from family. I have also started looking online, but I keep getting Indian job recruiters who keep calling and emailing me for personal information like full name and DOB. Pretty sure this is scam. I'm really not looking forward to getting back into desktop support. But it might be the only position I'm qualified for at the moment, until I get the CCNA. I'm just feeling a bit down now and not really sure what to do. Any other jobs that I can do besides helpdesk/desktop support? Any advice or even kinds word would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am sorry. I have been in your shoes. Anyway, is that all the jobs that you are applying for or is that all that is available in your area?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • johnnyqt25johnnyqt25 Banned Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am sorry. I have been in your shoes. Anyway, is that all the jobs that you are applying for or is that all that is available in your area?

I think helpdesk/desktop support are the only jobs I'm qualified for at the moment. I would love to find a NOC to work in, but don't have the CCNA or experience for it yet.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where are you located.
    I think he said Indiana.
    Apply for a NOC position. It does not hurt to try..
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always apply to jobs that you are not yet qualified for. You never know.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    johnnyqt25 wrote: »
    I was laid off about 6 months ago from a desktop support position. I'm kinda glad I did because that job was soul-crushing. Dealing with stupid users who kept calling me even though I keep telling them to open a ticket with the help desk first! A manager who didn't know the difference between bits and bytes. How she got the role to manage 15+ techs still boggles my mind. Absolutely no room for advancement. Some of the other techs were in their late 40's - 50's and they were like drones. Perhaps they've been told one too many times that "just be thankful you even have a job in this economy." And probably worst of all, the sour smell when I crawl under their desks. I almost puked one time helping an obese woman who had a half-eaten hamburger under her desk for who knows how long. And she never noticed the smell. OMFG...

Anyway, I've been productive during my "vacation" though. I got the Network+ and Security+ certs and working on the CCENT/CCNA now. This is all good, but I have a problem. My wife is nagging me to get another job asap. I'm still collecting unemployment, but it's not enough. We're gonna be short on rent this month. I might have to borrow money from family. I have also started looking online, but I keep getting Indian job recruiters who keep calling and emailing me for personal information like full name and DOB. Pretty sure this is scam. I'm really not looking forward to getting back into desktop support. But it might be the only position I'm qualified for at the moment, until I get the CCNA. I'm just feeling a bit down now and not really sure what to do. Any other jobs that I can do besides helpdesk/desktop support? Any advice or even kinds word would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

I was not really sure after reading your rant if you were the problem or not. First I'll say that in a good portion of IT jobs you'll deal with the users or what I call customers in some sort. You may deal with them directly or indirectly. It may be face to face, email, or little to not at all. If you have an issue with users maybe you're in the wrong field. Nine times out of ten if you're in Desktop Support people are calling because they have issues of some sort. Like everything IT, they want it fixed now and have no time for a ticket. That's not uncommon.

What do you have against older techs that are 40 and 50 years old? I actually had a talk with an older gentleman recently. He stated that he likes talking to people and the interaction. He doesn't want to sit home all day. I respek that. I have to ask, do those older techs still have a job?? You aren't the only person in IT that crawled under a desk. You knew at some point that was part of your job. I am a firm believer in if you complain about a job task or the commute to work, quit the job and save me the ear sore. Your wife is nagging you to get another job, are you expecting her to do cartwheels because you're unemployed?icon_rolleyes.gif You have what most would consider entry level certs and experience. Take into consideration CCENT->CCNA is what I/most would consider entry level as well.

One day a few years ago, I had gripes and complaints. Maybe not as extreme as yours but I had some. One day I looked in the mirror and asked myself, was the problem me. After being in the first stage of denial, I came to realize it was me that was the issue. I understand the headaches of desktop support, but you have to start somewhere. To answer you're question, I can think of 10 jobs you can do. Are you qualified for them NO. People do get chances/lucky and are given opportunities with minimal to no experience/certification. So, the world is yours so don't give up. I do wish you the best.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hang in there and like the others have said go ahead and apply for jobs even if you think you're not qualified for it. Even if you had to take another help desk/support job I don't think that's necessarily a bad move. Having a any job will take the pressure off(as long as you're making more than what you are with unemployment.) However, try to be strategic in it and try to get one that at the very least exposes you to some of the things that your ideal job would require you to have experience in.
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As everyone else says: make sure your CV is shining and makes you sound very employable, then apply for jobs that seem a bit more than what you were doing. So say for example you were fixing problems at a 1st line level, apply for something that's 2nd line but involves citrix or Server 2012 etc. One thing I will say: most people say that it's easier to find work if you've got a job, which is probably true - BUT - don't think a company wont be interested in you. Some companies refused to interview me because I had a job and they didn't want to wait 4+ weeks to hire me and get me working there. They wanted someone who could start the following working day! Keep positive. It sounds like you've got some good certs and are constantly building on your knowledge.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you not on Linkedin at least?
  • YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck man, just keep putting your resume out there something will stick. Maybe post your resume here for a critique. I wouldn't wish this situation on even the most horrible person. But take a step back and read your post man, nothing there screams "I would love to have this guy join my team". I understand the depression though.

And great post Girly, that level of introspection is something a lot of people never achieve, it's always external factors despite the frequency.