Delayed finishing school because was offered full time position, now wanna go back

giancollagiancolla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Should I include the full time position in my resume?

Basically what happened:
I had an internship and had about one more year worth of classes to take, but the company I was interning at offered me a full time job because they couldn't find anyone who fit the company culture, skills they wanted, etc

I accepted because I thought it would be doable to work full time and take classes full time. I was wrong, I ended up taking classes part time. Which is taking too long and I wanna go back to taking them full time. So I'm thinking of quitting and going back to internships.

Should I include the full time position in my resume, or omit it and just sort of combine the time I spent as full time with the internship position (from same company)?

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried talking to your manager? Maybe you can work something out so you can keep your current job, just working less...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • giancollagiancolla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Have you tried talking to your manager? Maybe you can work something out so you can keep your current job, just working less...
    Because I want to work on things more closely related to what I'm studying. The current job (and internship before it) I have is kind of related, but not 100% what I want to do.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    giancolla wrote: »
    Because I want to work on things more closely related to what I'm studying. The current job (and internship before it) I have is kind of related, but not 100% what I want to do.

Sometimes it takes time to get into your ideal dream position. I'd just work the full time job for two years while finishing school then move toward your ideal job when done with more experience vs. quitting and starting over with internships in a year. This all really depends on what you're going to school for, what your current job is and what you want to do in the end.
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Well for one thing, the job you have held for the last year is going to impact your financial aid.

Second, I would rather have a steady 2-3 years of history on my resume in the field I am working towards a degree in. As long as you aren't miserable, just continue with the part time schooling.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was somewhat in your situation. I graduated from college and received a job offer. But, I was 2 credits short of a second degree. I was thinking how hard can getting 2 credits be. So, I took the job. Job was a thousand miles away. Different state, different schools. The first big thing was getting the schools to agree on a class that would be acceptable to be transferred to complete those credits. Then, curriculum requirements changed and required me to take 2 more classes. And, faster than you can say 10 years later, I finished my second degree.

I know how it can be working yourself through college. But, if you can, go to school, study your ass off and get it done. Then get a job.

But, I'd list your work experience at the company as from xxx to yyy. And, then under that separate the dates out for when you were an intern and a full time employee. People hold multiple positions at one company all the time.
  • giancollagiancolla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The problem with continuing to work and going to school part time is I think I've learned all I can at my current job. Because it's not completely related to my degree, I feel like I'm just going through like a programmed robot. The job is easy (because of the classes I've taken) and I've managed to save up enough to pay for the rest of school. I've tried taking taking two classes each term, it was impossible because there is no time to study for midterms and finals. One class is the max that I was able to do.

I also think I'd learn much more if I had an internship that is directly related to my major.

As for the resume thing, should I include a cover letter explaining why I took the full time job before actually finishing school? E.g help pay for school, etc And explain why I want to quit and go back to interning/full time student?