eJPT Passed! Review within.

MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
The exam took about five hours to complete, including a couple of breaks. I did have to reset the lab once, a server freaked out on me and went offline. It wouldn't come back up, so I had no choice but to reset. Other than that, the exam went very well. Final score was 90%. I might actually email them about one of the questions. Without breaking NDA, one of the questions about asking about a particular part of a web application that didn't actually exist. Not sweating much over it, but pretty sure it was one of the missed questions.

This is probably one of the few exams where I felt like everything in the course was tested. The exam was well put together and really brought together everything you learn in the course. Most of the tools you learn during the course will play a hand in the exam and there are multiple ways to go about answering the questions.

The course itself was awesome. While I do work in the security field, I am mostly in the network / deployment side of things. I work for an MSP that deploys Sonicwalls and Junipers, so I work with things like VPNs (IPSec/SSL) and NAT a lot. Seeing this side of security really excites me. It is like a whole new world. Looking back, I do not regret going for the PTS course rather than the full PTP course. I do somewhat regret using my 20% off coupon, as I would rather have used that on the PTP course - which of course I will doing! But, at the time I didn't know how much I would really get into it. I think I would have gotten away with the full course here rather than elite - I ended up with 50 hours of lab time left over. That being said, I will most likely look towards the elite again in the next course. To my understanding the PTP is significantly more difficult than PTS.

So for anyone on the fence, I would say absolutely go for it! I plan to follow up with the PTP, and then later the OSCP. I don't have a whole lot of interest in going for the CEH, since work doesn't pay for these kinds of things I want the most bang for my buck training wise. It is definitely a nice break from grinding out Cisco/Juniper.

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    The exam took about five hours to complete, including a couple of breaks. I did have to reset the lab once, a server freaked out on me and went offline. It wouldn't come back up, so I had no choice but to reset. Other than that, the exam went very well. Final score was 90%. I might actually email them about one of the questions. Without breaking NDA, one of the questions about asking about a particular part of a web application that didn't actually exist. Not sweating much over it, but pretty sure it was one of the missed questions.

This is probably one of the few exams where I felt like everything in the course was tested. The exam was well put together and really brought together everything you learn in the course. Most of the tools you learn during the course will play a hand in the exam and there are multiple ways to go about answering the questions.

The course itself was awesome. While I do work in the security field, I am mostly in the network / deployment side of things. I work for an MSP that deploys Sonicwalls and Junipers, so I work with things like VPNs (IPSec/SSL) and NAT a lot. Seeing this side of security really excites me. It is like a whole new world. Looking back, I do not regret going for the PTS course rather than the full PTP course. I do somewhat regret using my 20% off coupon, as I would rather have used that on the PTP course - which of course I will doing! But, at the time I didn't know how much I would really get into it. I think I would have gotten away with the full course here rather than elite - I ended up with 50 hours of lab time left over. That being said, I will most likely look towards the elite again in the next course. To my understanding the PTP is significantly more difficult than PTS.

So for anyone on the fence, I would say absolutely go for it! I plan to follow up with the PTP, and then later the OSCP. I don't have a whole lot of interest in going for the CEH, since work doesn't pay for these kinds of things I want the most bang for my buck training wise. It is definitely a nice break from grinding out Cisco/Juniper.

The run discounts everyone once in awhile. I wouldn't get your hopes up on the PTP. You'll get a break price I'm sure!

Good job and congrats! How much practice do you say is needed for the certification? I finished all the videos and PPT. Wrapping up the labs and then waiting on a stretch of days off to take the exam.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    Good job and congrats! How much practice do you say is needed for the certification? I finished all the videos and PPT. Wrapping up the labs and then waiting on a stretch of days off to take the exam.

Thanks!

I think if you do well on the labs, then you shouldn't have too much trouble on the exam. I had spare lab time, so I ran through the labs again the week before the exam and tried to make it through all of them without having to look at any of the study material. While you have all the resources available to you during the exam, it will save time if you are able to go through most of the tools without reference.

If you are new to this, then I say definitely as least one run through each of the labs. You have 3 days to complete the exam, so you will have time to go back and get reference material for anything you struggle on. That being said, again - if you are comfortable with the labs, then you are ready for the exam. The exam will be more difficult than the labs, but you will be using the same tools as you did in the labs.

Good luck!
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    I'll give you some advice on coupons.
    Add their Twitter and Facebook accounts, and write comments or retweets on a lot of their content. They'll see your name repeatedly pop up, and then after a few weeks, you should ask for a coupon or code.

They hooked me up with the PTS barebones invite for free because I retweeted some of their articles. The marketing is more important to them.

It saves you money.
    That is a very good point! I added them to both.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Mooseboost wrote: »

What were the study materials you used?
    I mostly used the materials provided in the course. Outside of that, I did watch some youtube videos on SQL Injections to help me along.