Security Certification Track

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Is there anything you would add or remove from the certification track to work in IT Security? Will also be doing the hands on during the "work", just wanting to the pieces of paper to show what I can do (and have goals to work towards):

Cisco CCNA ICND2 200-100
CompTia Security+
Cisco CCNA 210-260 IINS
MCSA: Windows Server 2012 *410
MCSA: Windows Server 2012 *411
MCSA: Windows Server 2012 *412
CompTia Linux+
EC-Council C|HFI

Citrix CCA-V
GCIH: GIAC Certified Incident Handler
GSEC: GIAC Security Essentials Certification
Cisco CCNP 300-208 SISAS
Cisco CCNP 300-206 SENSS
Cisco CCNP 300-209 SIMOS
Cisco CCNP 300-207 SITCS
CompTia Advanced Security (CASP)
Cisco CCNA 200-310 DESGN
EC-Council C|EH

Thank you
Kind Regards,
Punish

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Outside of being overkill in some areas, what do you actually want to do in security? It really is a pretty wide field.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you saying you want to do everything on this list or pick a few from the list? Like Danielm7 said, this is too over the place and need some focus. "Where do I want to go" is the first question that you need to answer. That will most likely eliminate some, add others from the list.
  • Christian.Christian. Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sharpy56 wrote: »
    Is there anything you would add or remove from the certification track to work in IT Security? Will also be doing the hands on during the "work", just wanting to the pieces of paper to show what I can do (and have goals to work towards):

Without knowing your work experience or what type of position you want to get in a future, is difficult to say what certifications you should take. The list doesn't have a focus, is a little bit of everything.
    CISSP | CCSM | CCSE | CCSA | CCNA Sec | CCNA | CCENT | Security+ | Linux+ | Project+ | A+ | LPIC1
  • sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am unsure of the area as of yet, which is why it is quite broad.

Which certifications do you see as being overkill?
  • sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there a place that I can find the "Where do I want do go" career path options? To see a break down of information I need to learn.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    After finding yourself broke from classes and certification attempts... Your experience in IT prior to InfoSec will likely dictate what and where your career tends to progress.

Most of the coursework above indicates an administrative followed by engineering/router jock IT background. If administration and router "jocking" are of interest then by all means learn the infrastructure part of the house. EC-Council's "Ethical Hacker" course is moderately, if at all, useful, to admins and engineers outside of learning how to use NMap and Rapid7 (Nessus) and a certification of questionable retail value away from DOD. Most InfoSec people don't like it. Though GHIC, GCSA and GPEN would be better substitutes for basic penetration testing. Otherwise, real pen testing is done by people with deep backgrounds in development (C#, Java, DBA scripting et. al.)

- b/eads