Being Lowballed by A Recruiter?!

2»

Comments

• RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's really not uncommon for a recruiter to shoot low. Because the client is looking for the lowest bidder with the most talent. So, in this case, they're probably competing against other firms for the same contract. However, as more Visa applicants become available and can only work contract roles, the wages become lower.

For example: I was offered a Security Analyst role for $14/hr by a recruiter. I asked him who would have a bachelors degree and take that role? He said plenty of people. I told him, go take a hike.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Security Analyst for $14? That is just plain offensive. Only a guy making $8/hr imaging machines would take this and consider it a fair deal.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Security Analyst for $14? That is just plain offensive. Only a guy making $8/hr imaging machines would take this and consider it a fair deal.
    I'll see if I can find the posting for it.
    I found it:

DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
    • Works with system owners to ensure that appropriate security controls are designed and implemented.
    • Evaluates and recommends security solutions such as firewalls, anti-virus, SPAM filtering, web filtering, and encryption products.
    • Conducts periodic information security risk assessments.
    • Monitor SIEM and address offenses
    • Monitor NAC and address issues
    • Advises departments on regulatory requirements and security best practices.
    • Validates that security controls are deployed to meet PCI DSS requirements.
    • Participate in Threat Management and Vulnerability Management Programs
    REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
    Experience should include security policy development, security education, network penetration testing, applicationvulnerability assessments, risk analysis and compliance testing. Certifications such as CISSP, CISA or Security+ are desired.
    • Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations;
    • Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression.
    • Ability to gather information by examining records and documents and by questioning individuals.
    • Ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures.
    • Ability to determine proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
    • Ability to maintain accurate records;
    • Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
    • Ability to prepare and use charts, graphs and tables;
    • Ability to prepare general reports.
    • Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
    • Additional IT experience as a programmer, system administrator or network engineer preferred
    • Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of supervision.
    • Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
    • Knowledge of SIEM technology (QRadar preferred)
    • Knowledge of NAC technology (Forescout preferred)
    MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIRMENTS
    BA or BS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field. Advanced degree desirable.
    • CISSP or CISA or Security+ certification
    • Five+ years of progressive experience in computing and information security, including experience with Internet technology and security issues.
    LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIRMENTS
    • Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class 3 Motor Vehicle Operator's License may be required.
    • CISSP, CISA or sim
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    I found it:

wow. If you have a bachelors and a CISSP and are only making $14/hr that is blasphemous!
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    That is a very understanding company if they allowed you to "meat" with them. Around here that's more of a 4th meeting kind of thing icon_smile.gif

hahahaha! That WOULD be a new kind of interview!

I work out though, so I'd be comfortable betting on myself!
    icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    wow. If you have a bachelors and a CISSP and are only making $14/hr that is blasphemous!

And they were serious. The position still has not been filled. If you look at the bottom of the post, they also want you to a drivers license so you can drive to other sites and support the security operations. SMH!
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    And they were serious. The position still has not been filled. If you look at the bottom of the post, they also want you to a drivers license so you can drive to other sites and support the security operations. SMH!

I think that it just goes to show that businesses and individuals will act in their own best interest and that it's each individuals responsibility to work the best deal possible for him or her self. They're going to get a super crappy Security Analyst, and they deserve one.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    I think that it just goes to show that businesses and individuals will act in their own best interest and that it's each individuals responsibility to work the best deal possible for him or her self. They're going to get a super crappy Security Analyst, and they deserve one.

They're a Fortune 500 company! My mind was blown when I heard them ask me this. I said Janitors/custodians make more money than that and he said there are plenty of people willing to work this position.

At RSA conference this year, this topic was brought up about companies advertising job postings with terms like "CISSP" in the description and they said that this needs to be addressed immediately. Too many companies try to **** their way to success with cheap labor. (in the IT field)
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Eston21 wrote: »
    That is not their job. They are not their to work on your behalf. You act like they are your agent. If you feel they waste your time than don't use them.

But Every recruiter claims to be on your side and they are going to work on your behalf. That is what they are PAID to do is help and assist you in finding a job.. That is the whole point of being a recruiter. BUT most of them do not do that so there is really no reason to use them.

just my 0.02

icon_study.gif
    But Every recruiter claims to be on your side and they are going to work on your behalf. That is what they are PAID to do is help and assist you in finding a job.. That is the whole point of being a recruiter. BUT most of them do not do that so there is really no reason to use them.

just my 0.02

icon_study.gif

It's actually not. Their job is to work with the client to find a resource for the position that is available for the client.