Switching jobs, getting nervous

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
After studying, learning, working, networking...I have moved myself into a spot where I am one of two finale candidates for a network engineer role for a regional bank. This role would be 70% network, 30% leadership to three desktop support guys with a sys admin as a peer.

I find that I am nervous at the prospect of this. I have never had a role that is so heavily network based, I believe my skill set is below what they would consider to be "ideal" but then again I have been honest about all of this and they continue to move me along the interview process.

Some might laugh, but I think of the leadership role as something I can easily handle.

I am most afraid of moving into a almost "pure" network role, being the only "network" engineer and not having years of networking experience to fall back on.

Anyone make a move like this before or have some insight to offer?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't give you any help or insight but sounds like a sweet opportunity. Best of luck!
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have changed my path many times. Just relax, you will be fine.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If the new job is scary, you are doing it right. Press on!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    arg! The nerves! This is more stressful now that I have made progress in my career and actually have a job I like!

I completely understand "jumping in the deep end" style learning, because thats how I grow as a engineer but I feel like I am gambling with my career!
    Take it easy with the stress. It'll be fine. Just think of all the information you will learn. Breath! icon_cheers.gif
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're gambling on yourself, not your career. If you trust yourself to learn the technology, be a good employee, and fit in with your coworkers, then it's really not even a gamble, is it?
    Got a call back earlier, they want a second onsite interview. I asked if the other candidate was also having a second interview and they said no.

This time I meet with a potential co-worker, CTO (potential boss) and HR again.

Fingers crossed. I am ready to exit the world of Managed Services.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »

^^ +1

It's pretty much the best (and possibly ONLY) way to progress...fast!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The last 2 times I've moved in the past 3 years I've increased my salary a substantial amount and up'd the benefits. Definitely good call on your part if you'll gain money, benefits, or experience!
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
    The last 2 times I've moved in the past 3 years I've increased my salary a substantial amount and up'd the benefits. Definitely good call on your part if you'll gain money, benefits, or experience!

Its all three plus better work/life balance. Its 10 miles from my house compared to the 62 I do currently and they work 9-5 / no weekends / federal holidays off.

Finger crossed, I interview again Friday morning. Hopefully its not one of those long drawn out decisions!
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Its all three plus better work/life balance. Its 10 miles from my house compared to the 62 I do currently and they work 9-5 / no weekends / federal holidays off.

Finger crossed, I interview again Friday morning. Hopefully its not one of those long drawn out decisions!

The commute difference alone is HUGE, quality of life is a big thing, that and more money is a double win. Good luck!
  • YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Somehow I think because you've taken to the leadership side of things, you'll do well overall.
  • CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your interview this morning. Let us know how it goes!
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »

I'd agree with this. If I were to walk in on day 1 and not feel somewhat out of my depth then I'd probably taken the wrong job.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
    How did it go??
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I think anyone should come to be expect with taking on any new role / job. If you could do everything 100% as expected before even starting the job then what is the point? I look for new opportunities as roles I can grow into and learn. If there is no learning curve I don't see where taking on a new role would be beneficial for one's career growth.

Good luck with the next parts of the interviews!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    How did it go??

I never know. I felt like the lat interview I went on went well, but the only thing I got post-interview was a "thanks, but no thanks" letter from HR.

I feel like this interview went VERY well. The expected length was "30-45 minutes" since they had collected so much info previously. It ended up being 2h 20m long. With an interview that goes on that long its difficult to sum up the experience, but I feel I can do it this time.

Near the end, after they ask if I have any questions and I ask 3 of them the CTO looks at me and says something like "come on, do you have any deep, philosophical questions for us?" To that I responded with, "Do you have any reservations regarding my level of experience or certifications?"

His response sums up the whole interview. He looked me square in the eyes and said with a smile, "None; absolutely none." Keep in mind the minimum listed experience for the position is 5-7 years and a BS (which I dont have, yet...). I do have a AAS in Business management.

I am much less nervous post interview than I was prior. I was honest and told them what my fears were and they came back with answers that put me at ease and made me aware they expect the person who fills this role to do some learning on the job.

Next step: I said I would call them Thursday if I didn't hear from them. The HR manager said she would be in touch "way before then!". We will see...
    That sounds promising. I know what you mean though, been on many an interview where I thought I had nailed it, but did not get hired.
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Great to hear man! Sending all the good luck I can afford your way.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Good Luck!!!

Don't be dissapointed by a long wait time... I recently got into a contract job that I waited for, for over a month. So if there is a long wait and you have not heard anything negative then be patient!
  • CAIRNECAIRNE Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look at it this way: They wouldn't have advanced you to the last two if they didn't believe in your abilities - Companies don't have time to appease peoples egos and waste their money hiring someone they don't think it capable.

Hope you land the job and the company will support you as you adjust into the role. You said they know about your experience back ground and any gaps you have in the area of Networking. It will eventually become second nature as you fill in the gaps in your experience and knowledge.

Getting such an awesome new job and the promotion and experience it will bring is daunting but should be very exciting.

Best of luck and hope you land the job!
    I just sent the "thank you" emails. More waiting....
    Got a call yesterday, they wanted my transcripts from my prior degree and current program's progress. I think this is a good sign because I made no mention of GPA or courses taken during any part of this, they must be verify I have a degree in Management and verifying I am about halfway through a BS.
    I got the JOB!!!!!

Plus I got more than I asked for! 26% raise! A lot more! Plus two week PTO effective immediately. OMG!!!

Hardwork pays off, stay in school kids!

The only part that adds a level of stress is I have to obtain my BS within 18 months of employment. I should have it in 12 months, but life has a way of slowing things down. I talked to them briefly about this condition and they are firm on it.
    Congratulations!
  • SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love reading threads like this, it helps motivate me. It sounds like you have worked very hard to get where you are, keep on keepin' on!
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I got the JOB!!!!!

Plus I got more than I asked for! 26% raise! A lot more! Plus two week PTO effective immediately. OMG!!!

Hardwork pays off, stay in school kids!

The only part that adds a level of stress is I have to obtain my BS within 18 months of employment. I should have it in 12 months, but life has a way of slowing things down. I talked to them briefly about this condition and they are firm on it.

Congratulations and keep up the hard work!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
    Congrats!!!