MCSA Office 365 or VCP6-DCV

joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I currently have MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 and MCSE Messaging (just recently achieved MCSE) certifications and am trying to look into possible next steps.

Although there is a bit of a difference what would people say is better to have a certification in? Office 365 or VMware?

Do I stick to the Microsoft products and expand my knowledge here? (office 365 obviously would go well with my Exchange certification, but do I even need this or do people just get it as a quicker way to MCSE? i.e. less exams to pass).

On the other hand, in my opinion, VMware is the biggest virtualization platform currently. How valued are the VMware certs?

I think basically what I'm asking is, would people find it better to be more focused (just Microsoft certs) or have certs/knowledge in a few different areas? (Microsoft/VMware/networking etc)

Thanks!

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would do both, but just like you, i would do the O365 first and then do the VMware cert second.
  • illmortalizedillmortalized Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I would do both, but just like you, i would do the O365 first and then do the VMware cert second.
    I have to agree. They're two whole different platforms.

I myself am debating to go with either Hyper-V or VMWare.. both are pretty equal in requirement in the job market. But seems like VMWare is more recognized and needed than Hyper-V.
  • joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to agree. They're two whole different platforms.

I myself am debating to go with either Hyper-V or VMWare.. both are pretty equal in requirement in the job market. But seems like VMWare is more recognized and needed than Hyper-V.

Personally I would agree that VMware is more needed that hyper-v, in my company we have both so both would be good but VMware is used more.
    Also, VMware seems to have a lot more to it than hyper-v and can do more/has more features etc.
    joeswfc wrote: »
    Personally I would agree that VMware is more needed that hyper-v, in my company we have both so both would be good but VMware is used more.
    Also, VMware seems to have a lot more to it than hyper-v and can do more/has more features etc.

Yeah seems like that's the general consensus, regarding VMWare vs Hyper-V.
  • joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having looked further into this it's safe to say I won't be getting VCP6-DCV, purely based on the overall cost.

It seems you have to attend a training course before you can become certified, and (apparently) the cost of the courses are between $3,995 and $7,145.

Think I will learn the material but not actually sit the exams.

So MCSA O365 it is!
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joeswfc wrote: »
    It seems you have to attend a training course before you can become certified, and (apparently) the cost of the courses are between $3,995 and $7,145.

Think I will learn the material but not actually sit the exams.

There are some MUCH more reasonably priced options for the required VMware training. Search the forums and you'll be able to find multiple community colleges that offer the required training and are certified by VMware.

I won't endorse any particular one, but I've taken that same training from one for less than two hundred dollars.

Good luck!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    There are some MUCH more reasonably priced options for the required VMware training. Search the forums and you'll be able to find multiple community colleges that offer the required training and are certified by VMware.

I won't endorse any particular one, but I've taken that same training from one for less than two hundred dollars.

Good luck!

Wow!!

If I can find it for that cost.. that's nothing, I'd gladly do it without hesitation.

Otherwise, I may be in the same boat, learning it without being certified.