Advice regarding the MTA Networking Fundamentals Revision..

I just want some advice, I have the exam in roughly three weeks, so far I am watching the MVA videos then plan to watch the pluralsight course followed by another MVA video course related to the 98-366 which includes slide presentation handouts which I will use to go through every objective. Is this a good plan or do I really need the official course book? which I in-fact have but I am trying to avoid reading the book as I find I do not take information in when reading from books in comparison to videos and it will probably be a waste of time... not sure how full on this exam will be so bit skeptical on how to approach revision for it..

Comments

• jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

The MVA videos are good... for a start. It depends how much knowledge you already posses. I used MVA+Willey book+Sybex book and it was enough (even though I encountered a question which isn't in the scope of this exam - I suspect MS that they save some topics just for official courses/materials handed out on these courses). CBT are fine (for me better than TS videos).

I don't want to scare you, but I thought it will be much easier (maybe I got the feeling from MVA videos, but the exam is more close to what is presented in CBT). Anyway I got 93, so it wasn't that bad after all.

A hint - for everything you study and isn't theoretical (like whole chapter about WAN technologies for example) - know where to find and how to use it in Windows OS.
  • G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for the advice I actually pushed the exam back a few weeks I think I may have underestimated the exam.. Just want it done quickly so I can grab the MTA Windows Server before it expires but wanted to get this first.
  • zedczedc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im using Wiley, certiport guide, cbt nuggets and ensurepass free guides. Hoping to take the exam this month. good luck
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed this exam today with an 82. I did not feel as confident about this as I did the MTA: Software Testing Fundamentals that I took last week, but I ended up making a higher score. I went through the MVA videos, read through the Microsoft Press book, and went through a video course on PluralSight (worth it if you don't want to pay the price of CBTNuggets).

So, I planned on getting hit with a lot of IP questions about sub-netting, number of available hosts/networks, CIDR notation, and I was surprised at the lack of that stuff based on how much I prepared for it. Instead I got a test question pool that centered around the OSI stack, 802.3, and 802.11. If you can memorize the OSI stack and correctly answer what layer something uses, memorize the 802.3 table on type of cable/speed, and memorize the 802.11 table about speed and transmit frequency, you will pass this with no issue.