Options

Career Advice / Post-Military

GrounderGrounder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright first off thanks for checking this out I think what I am doing is still correct just have some extras I want an opinion on.

I am 23 leaving the Military this November (6 years experience as a SysAd) and am just trying to wrap up everything I can before I get out.

Current Qualifications:
Security+
Top Secret w/Poly
NCO (Management Experience?)

Planned over the next 6 months (AF paid for)
1. CEH Boot Camp (Will/am of course self studying)
2. vMware 6.0 class (Meets the requirement for VCP6-DCV cert) Unsure if I should get the cert but the class was free
3. CISSP Boot Camp (Will/am of course self studying)

Now I do not have a degree (as of yet) but I am going to be working on it while at my new job.

Now my main question is if this is the correct path for me to get into a solid area of work after leaving the military.

Other question is I was hoping somebody out there could help me out with the expected salary I should look for in this career field. (Assuming I pass both certifications listed above)

I have done my research about my area (Washington D.C.), but I have never had a job interview in my life (besides McDonalds) and am trying to be as confident in my expectations as possible when dealing with headhunters and the sort.

Thank you again for any help provided.

Comments

• Options
    diegosan619diegosan619 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grounder,

Just noticed your post. I recently had a similar post. You have many options to choose from since you have a TS and Sys Admin experience.
    I would browse the Job sites, so you can have an idea of the expected salary. Most importantly continue with the Certs, also have the
    hands on experience to back up the Certs. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Top Secret w/Poly
    That sweet, sweet TS is all you need. Personally, I'd go party in college for a few years and get a CS degree.

• Options
    GrounderGrounder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the replies so far, with some research I also found a GSEC course I can sign up for.

Going to through my hat into that ring as well.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Contractor if you don't mind working alongside of the military. November is still a ways out, but I have little doubt you could get on where I'm at in San Antonio. You'll probably be good to go in the DC area as well. A clearance, CISSP, and CEH will cover your minimum requirements for all of the 8570 positions. On the certification side an environmental cert will also help, Linux, Windows, Cisco, etc.
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your experience and certifications are more than enough-- a clearance is icing on the cake. Your TAP class will help with resume writing and interviewing, although you should do your own research to fine-tune these skills.

As an NCO, it'd be more accurate to say that your role is supervisory, not managerial.

If you've researched your area, you should have a pretty good salary range in mind. If you think a recruiter is lowballing you, they probably are. I would actually avoid them altogether and just apply directly.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you're Air Force you probably have enough credits to get at least an Associates thru the Community College of the Air Force. You probably won't have any issues getting into contracting, though many military people I knew were getting their Bachelors because there are only a limited number of jobs where they can fill them with prior military without degrees. So the pool is smaller and you're competing against people with extensive military backgrounds (i.e. did their 20 and held a command of some type).

Your plan is good and I would definitely pick up any certification that you've completed the training for. Virtualization definitely adds another layer of attack beyond the operating system. CISSP should cause you too much trouble and my understanding is if you submit your DD-214 you're gold when it comes to the experience requirement. I'd agree with getting a Computer Science degree, but while working and not partying (TS will run out otherwise). There are at least two three letter agencies I believe would pick you up (I am guessing you have the CounterIntelligence poly) almost immediately because of that.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Since you're Air Force you probably have enough credits to get at least an Associates thru the Community College of the Air Force. You probably won't have any issues getting into contracting, though many military people I knew were getting their Bachelors because there are only a limited number of jobs where they can fill them with prior military without degrees. So the pool is smaller and you're competing against people with extensive military backgrounds (i.e. did their 20 and held a command of some type).

Your plan is good and I would definitely pick up any certification that you've completed the training for. Virtualization definitely adds another layer of attack beyond the operating system. CISSP should cause you too much trouble and my understanding is if you submit your DD-214 you're gold when it comes to the experience requirement. I'd agree with getting a Computer Science degree, but while working and not partying (TS will run out otherwise). There are at least two three letter agencies I believe would pick you up (I am guessing you have the CounterIntelligence poly) almost immediately because of that.

The TS wont run out if he gets a job that requires it within 2 years of not needing it. A TS with a Poly will get you in the door at most Govt agencys.... the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc... Or you can work with an agency that requires it.
  • Options
    So your in my area.... You can get a job at the following places

NSA - Near BWI airport
    Pentagon - Near Regan airport
    Anywhere in DC arlington, alexandria, reston, vienna, dulles, or for most of the federal sector
    Ft belvoir
    Navy Yard
    Quantico

So you are good with the TS and the Sec+ because that is what most DoD jobs require is a Sec+ as far as IT goes... if you desire I would sit the CASP because the govt sector looks favorably on that.... also do not overlook the ITIL foundations cert....

If you need any other help let me know....
  • Options
    Also getting your CISSP and CEH will put you at an advantage over people who just have sec+. look at jobs on Dice.com, Monster.com, and clearancejobs.gov. those sites will let you know what the salary range you should be expecting especially for CISSP and CEH combined. You can also be a watch officer (someone who watches the networks) and get into a govt civillian role since you will be prior millitary and a veteran... so you should be fine.