CPTE Mile2 certification

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have a friend who talked to me today about how his manager is paying for him to attend a bootcamp for the CPTE certification from Mile2. After looking on their site, it seems that Mile2 is hating on EC-Council big time so that is kinda a turn off since I have 2 EC-Council certs already. With that said, has anyone here heard of Mile2 and how good are they compared to EC-Council or SANS or Offensive Security? Is Mile2 just a money grab or are they worth it in the pen testing/security industry?

Also a side question, has anyone here attended EC-Council University and are their programs worth it?

Thanks forum you all are awesome!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Is the enemy of my enemy my friend? I hate EC Council but I understand what they do and the fact that they bring value to some people under some specific circumstances. Can't say the same about Mile2. The only person that I know who knows something about mile2 is the OP in this thread, and I'm still not convinced he's not an employee or got some incentive form them. Seriously, not one single person in my circles know about these peeps. I've even asked FBI peeps at InfraGard and they think I'm making this stuff up. Are they any good? I don;t know, because they are keeping it super secret and doing an awful job marketing thei certs/training.

If you search on Indeed the only hit for "mile2" is their very own job post looking for a Systems Administrator. I also got a kick out of the following: "Required license or certification: Network+, Security+ or other cyber security certifications?". That question mark is hilarious.

I'm also genuinely hoping to hear feedback from EC-Council University because other than getting their emails, I know nothing about its value.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have two Mile2 certifications. My last agency paid for all of us to go through their entire certification track. I had to take the two intro courses and pass the tests before I could start on anything bigger. Certified Security Sentinel is a bit of a joke. It makes Security+ look like CISSP, if you take my meaning. Then I took Certified Vulnerability Assessor. Also a bit of a joke. A lot of the material for this one came from Wikipedia. I know because they quoted their sources. I passed both open book tests with ease, though I didn't feel like a vulnerability assessor when I finished. I had started on Certified Information Systems Security Officer when my new job came along. My plan for when I passed that was to take their more technical training including penetration testing and forensics. I figured that since it was free and I was allowed to study on work time, what the heck. I can't speak for the quality of their technical training, but I didn't learn a thing that I didn't already know from their first two courses. YMMV

A month ago, my current boss told me to pick out some training and he would pay for it. So I chose eLearnSecurity's Penetration Testing Student course. When I finish that and pass the exam, he's going to pay for their Penetration Testing Professional training. And I'll get to spend so many hours per week on them during work time. I have a great boss!
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    The only person that I know who knows something about mile2 is the OP in this thread, and I'm still not convinced he's not an employee or got some incentive form them. Seriously, not one single person in my circles know about these peeps. I've even asked FBI peeps at InfraGard and they think I'm making this stuff up. Are they any good? I don;t know, because they are keeping it super secret and doing an awful job marketing thei certs/training.

I'm fairly certain he does not work for Mile2 and is just a disgruntled CEH flunkie who believes that his posts will have a impact on the industry.

I would suggest asking him however he will probably just tell you how much better it is then CEH.

Looks like there are a decent amount of people who have Mile2 training/Certs who work for the Canadian Federal government. I don't see job ads asking for this certification but the people i do see with it look to have good careers.
  • verdigrisverdigris Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's pretty worthless, both in terms of content/development and industry recognition. I say this as someone who has the certification due to a former boss who was bizarrely enamored with mile2. Personally I would push for funding for the OSCP and not mess around with anything else.