Linux + Training resources

Are there any resources for the 103 and 104 test? or will the info for the 101 and 102 suffice?

Comments

• Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux Academy, If you have no Linux experience consider starting with the LPI Linux Essentials Cert. Also books on Amazon with the new content.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Infosec... thanks...

What im planning to do is learn Linux with training and videos. Im online looking at a cheap laptop that im going to install Ubuntu on and learn the CLI.
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Youtube has some great tutorials. I've used CBT Nuggets didn't particularly like it for Linux training. Look into a book called the Linux Bible.

If you have a pc at home you could install Virtualbox and run Ubuntu as a VM. Prob the best method as with messing around learning stuff you can mess up the kernel.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe the 103 and 104 have updated exam objectives that cover systemd and Upstart that weren't covered by the 101 and 102 study materials. I would stick with 103 and 104 study materials or at the very least look at what is missing from your 101 and 102 study materials and study the missing material to fill in the gaps.

I'm currently studying for it. I started off with LinuxAcademy and made it halfway through their course for the first exam one time and about 60-70% through their couse a second time. I'm starting to think watching videos isn't the right method for me. I do like how they have it setup to where you can launch lab machines and follow along the course using either VNC or putty software.

I bought a voucher when I was nearing the completion of the LinuxAcademy course last September that I still have 't used. I decided to change it up and buy Ross Brunson's and Sean Walberg's cert guide published through Pearson IT Certification. So far I'm liking it. It appears that thr first 10 chapters are dedicated to topics on the first exam and the second ten chapters are dedicated to the topics on the second exam. Then there's a last "Final Preparation" chapter typical of the Pearson cert guides. I'm on chapter 5 and I'm going to finish reading through Chapter 10, finsh the Linux Academy videos I haven't watched, read the man pages for the commands that are given and tinker around a bit some VMs I've setup using VirtualBox before I take the test.

I'm hoping to take the first test in the next 2-3 weeks. I think you just need to figure out what resources work for you. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed trying to learn a bunch of foreign concepts, just take a break and come back to it a few hours later or the next day. Also, if you are watching a video and they gloss over a topic, you might want to pause the video and read the man pages and/or do some google searches to find it explained differently. I think this is one of the areas that hearing the same topic discussed/explained in different ways helps to reinforce the concepts.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I believe the 103 and 104 have updated exam objectives that cover systemd and Upstart that weren't covered by the 101 and 102 study materials. I would stick with 103 and 104 study materials or at the very least look at what is missing from your 101 and 102 study materials and study the missing material to fill in the gaps.

I'm currently studying for it. I started off with LinuxAcademy and made it halfway through their course for the first exam one time and about 60-70% through their couse a second time. I'm starting to think watching videos isn't the right method for me. I do like how they have it setup to where you can launch lab machines and follow along the course using either VNC or putty software.

I bought a voucher when I was nearing the completion of the LinuxAcademy course last September that I still have 't used. I decided to change it up and buy Ross Brunson's and Sean Walberg's cert guide published through Pearson IT Certification. So far I'm liking it. It appears that thr first 10 chapters are dedicated to topics on the first exam and the second ten chapters are dedicated to the topics on the second exam. Then there's a last "Final Preparation" chapter typical of the Pearson cert guides. I'm on chapter 5 and I'm going to finish reading through Chapter 10, finsh the Linux Academy videos I haven't watched, read the man pages for the commands that are given and tinker around a bit some VMs I've setup using VirtualBox before I take the test.

I'm hoping to take the first test in the next 2-3 weeks. I think you just need to figure out what resources work for you. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed trying to learn a bunch of foreign concepts, just take a break and come back to it a few hours later or the next day. Also, if you are watching a video and they gloss over a topic, you might want to pause the video and read the man pages and/or do some google searches to find it explained differently. I think this is one of the areas that hearing the same topic discussed/explained in different ways helps to reinforce the concepts.

Thanks.

My problem is... everything that im finding is on the 101 and 102 tests... I have used Linux before and I have VMWare running on my PC with Ubuntu. So im mainly focusing on the commands to get started. I don't want to study the old material because they have come out with new material.
    I am thinking of getting Linux Academy and going through the material there, while following a long in a book...
  • TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited. original reply was to another topic which was deleted.