OSCP kindly Help

neo1990neo1990 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,
I'm studying the PWK course to get the OSCP certification, but I noticed that the materials (video + pdf) is very poor, so I have to learn with myself a lot.

I'm looking for some information about OSCP, in particular:
  • Some informations about the exam: the objective are to find new vulns + exploit or find known vuls and customize known exploit?
  • Does anyone have some write-up about lab or exam?

Thanks very much in advance.

Best

Comments

• deyavideyavi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will definitely dedicate many hours to research on your own. PWK course teaches you the basics. The lab is part of the course, not just the pdf and videos, and it is where you will learn a lot.
    As an addition, I found really helpful the book "Penetration testing" from Georgia Weidman, and vulnhub's boot2root machines.

The objective on the exam (although you should ask that to an offsec admin or on their forum) is the same as the lab. Get a shell with root/administrator privileges and get the proof. And of course get as much information as possible from it once gained access.

I don't know what kind write-up are you looking for, but I do not think you will find any detailed write up about lab machines or exam.

Good luck.
  • towentumtowentum Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Disclaimer: Haven't started the PWK yet.

I assure you they don't expect you to write a 0-day exploit in the exam. All the hosts are going to be vulnerable to some known exploit and you may need to slightly modify.

Remember, the motto is Try Harder. The course material gives you a jump off point to go explore on your own and to do your own research. Pentesting can't be a push button process, it's a mentality that needs to be learned. You have to think like the attacker, how would they break in? On top of that, you have to be able to research and research some more and learn on your own.