Options

VMware

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
Ok,question, I have one PC at home (quite robust however).

Vmware can simulate multiple machines on one PC? For example, I can setup a server/client lab on my PC?

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    homerj742 wrote:

Vmware can simulate multiple machines on one PC? For example, I can setup a server/client lab on my PC?

Yes. On my laptop I have 4 Windows Server 2003 installations, 2 Windows 2000 Server installations, 3 XP Pro installations, 2 Redhat installations, and one Vista installation.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    At the risk of starting the VM Holy Wars, you can do the same thing with VirtualPC, and Virtual Server from Microsoft, both of which are free, as are VMWare Player and VMWare server (but not VMWare Workstation) VirtualPC is more robust than Player, about on par with Workstation. You cannot create new virtual machines in player, but you can with server. The interface of both server programs are not as nice as VirtualPC/Player/Workstation, but allow the virtuals to run as a service. I have even heard of being able to log onto a PC authenticating against a server in one of the server programs, but I would be very carefull with such a setup (and have not tried it myself).

As to which I use: MS (at the moment, I have used them all), because I run VirtualPC for the inteface and the ability to create VMs, and Virtual Server so the VMs are compatible.

Peter
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    PCHoldmann wrote:
    At the risk of starting the VM Holy Wars, you can do the same thing with VirtualPC, and Virtual Server from Microsoft, both of which are free, as are VMWare Player and VMWare server (but not VMWare Workstation) VirtualPC is more robust than Player, about on par with Workstation. You cannot create new virtual machines in player, but you can with server. The interface of both server programs are not as nice as VirtualPC/Player/Workstation, but allow the virtuals to run as a service. I have even heard of being able to log onto a PC authenticating against a server in one of the server programs, but I would be very carefull with such a setup (and have not tried it myself).

As to which I use: MS (at the moment, I have used them all), because I run VirtualPC for the inteface and the ability to create VMs, and Virtual Server so the VMs are compatible.

Peter

I use them both also. Just know that with Virtual PC, you will usually have to perform some type of acrobatics to get most Linux distros to install and run properly.
  • Options
    keatron wrote:
    homerj742 wrote:

Yes. On my laptop I have 4 Windows Server 2003 installations, 2 Windows 2000 Server installations, 3 XP Pro installations, 2 Redhat installations, and one Vista installation.

Damn! Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I want to install one 2003 standard, one 2003 standard w/exchange 2003, and a couple of xp pro machines.

Thus creating a small domain.s

Next question is, which vesion of what program should I get to allow me to do the above??? (it's quite overwhelming!)
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Unless you need to run a non-Windows OS, I would start with VirtualPC, get used to virtualization, and then look at the others.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    Can I install Server 2003 on ms virtual pc? create a small network??

I have access to a full working version of VMware Workstation.
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I have one PC at home (quite robust however).

Make sure it has lots of RAM! crash.gif
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
  • Options
    I installed my first virtual server. Cool.

Next plan:

1 more server

2 xp pro pc's

put them in a "team"

mess around with virtual lan