A+ needed?

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
Since I have my Sec+ do I really need to get my A+.... When I interviewed for a job recently they said I needed to
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If your potential employer wants the candidate to have an A+, don't you think as the candidate you'd want to meet the maximum criteria for the position?

Up to you.

Does anyone NEED any certification? No. Does holding certain certifications help folks land a job? Yep, sometimes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see what your saying.... But doesn't the Sec+ trump the A+? I mean I understand the A+ has the fundamental knowledge but I would think an employer would say "hey you got the Sec+ you are ok for certs, you dont need to worry about the A+" but it does depend on the job.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • huschusc Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think it depends on the job you apply.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While Sec+ would seem to "trump" A+ and N+ to some degree, especially given the way CompTIA presents the CEU renewal with Sec+ meeting CEUs for the "lower level" certs. However, while there is some topic overlap, the majority of the content for these certifications is different. I work with a "Security Architech" who has Sec+, but who is severely lacking skills in the basic PC, so simply having Sec+ is not an indicator that the Sec+ certificate holder has strong desktop skills. Considering IT Security often requires some computer forensics, I can see an employer seeing a bonus in a prospective employee with some proven knowledge in at least basic desktop skills
    A+ is geared toward hardware and desktop troubleshooting, so no, it neither trumps nor is replaced by any other certification. A+ is geared toward a bench tech, which as it goes today, is not as much in demand as it once was. Still a needed role, but not in the same league as Sec+.

A+ works hand-in-hand with NET+ because from a standard desktop, one tends to connect into a networked environment and therefore has a need to understand basic networking.

Not everyone needs the A+ certification, it 'depends' on the job/role the candidate needs to fulfill. Additionally, if an employer has a need to have 'x' amount of staff holding specific certifications, then they 'may' need the candidate (You) to have an A+.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the Clarification Plantwiz. Also Question I can't send messages to ppl... idk why
    I'll notify an Admin, but check your settings because you can send and receive email from members.

EDIT:

Check under your 'general settings' feature. Scroll down a bit and you can enable PM or disable it, confirm the radio button is set to 'receive' PMs.

I've left a message with Admin to look into as well.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They're really two completely separate certifications even though COMPTIA considers the Security+ a "higher level certification". The A+ concentrates more on the job of a PC technician and troubleshooting while the Security+ concentrates obviously on physical, network, and computer security. Depending on what job you're applying for it would make sense for the employer to want an A+ as opposed to a Security+. If you're applying for instance for a job as a PC tech or help desk analyst it would make more sense to want to see the A+ cert over the Security+.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • infield13infield13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agree to everything stated above. To me I could see an employer saying that you would have to obtain A+ within six months of hire. If they think you could do the job then I don't see why they wouldn't say "hey this guy has Sec+, If he can learn that then he should easily pass A+"
  • bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't get it unless 1) a job you really want requires it or 2) someone else (not a family member or someone you care about) is paying for it.

I really just don't like how much CompTIA charges for these entry level certs. $400 and two tests is obscene. It should be one test and no more than $99 IMHO. Of course, this is just my opinion :)
  • bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Either way, having more certs on your profile is beneficial and there's no harm in getting it.

I sort of agree, except for the financial aspect. As I mentioned above, my problem with this cert has always been the cost. If $400 is chump change to you, then by all means go for it. But if it's not, then you'll want to consider if that $400 can be put toward a different cert that may line up better with where you want to go.
  • lodis86lodis86 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If an employer wants you to get it, sure. If you need to fulfill school requirements, sure. If you want to get it to stand out to employers, don't bother. This certification isn't really relevant these days.
  • csteffen28csteffen28 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a heads up with the pricing thing. Anyone with a .edu address can buy the vouchers through the academic side of COMPTIA and get huge discounts. I know not everyone has one, but I paid 190$ for both A+ tests and just paid 141$ for the Net+.