Virtualbox VMware etc

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have used both but which do you prefer. I found out about them from a co worker I had who was into IT and used Linux in a virtual environment. My issue when I run Oracle is it freezes my PC and I have to restart....
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Virtualbox is free so that's always been my reason for sticking with that.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "VMware" is a company not a product, same for "Oracle". The words you choose matter.

Personally, I use VMware Workstation Pro since I have a license for it and like the feature set. VMware Workstation Player is free to download and use for personal use.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have virtualbox on my 2008 server with a few VMs and have vmware ESXi 5.5 on my other server as a host. i haven't played much yet with completing my whole lab but the vmware host has a few more options and is definitely a better choice for enterprise use. ESXi was free as well so try both but if you ever plan to work with VMWare in your career then i would go with that
  • Chris_WessChris_Wess Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks dhay for recommending to use ESXi 5.5. I think this could be a best option.
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really does depend on what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to just run virtualization locally on a PC / laptop?

If you are trying to build a virtualization server, then the recommendation might change.

Overall, I am a big fan of VMware's suite of products, wether its desktop, workstation, or enterprise level stuff. I use Workstation on my PC based systems (mostly at work) and Fusion on my MAC. Fusion runs great on the mac, and it has made building labs a freaking breeze.

My CEH lab was essential to my studies.