Your thoughts on FEDVTE?

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
I would like to signup for this later this week. From what I read, my veteran status allows me to utilize the service. For those of you with access, how is the quality? I would like to use it to finish my CASP and then to do the ISSAP specialization for my CISSP.

It seems like a pretty sweet deal for CPEs, even if the training doesn't set the world on fire.

Comments

• ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    I use it from time to time. It is a very good resource.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    and it is free. icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm currently using it to study for the CASP. very good from what i have seen so far but i just signed up last week
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    i'm currently using it to study for the CASP. very good from what i have seen so far but i just signed up last week

That's probably what I'll do to follow up on the Cybrary videos. I feel like I'm cheating on Kelly Handerhan a little....
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't had a need for it outside of HBSS and ACAS training. But I have had two coworkers who used it specifically for CASP training and both said it's a great secondary resource. Not sure if you're on a military status or not but if you are, see if you can sign up for DoD safari books online. The aforementioned two coworkers are reservists and I turned them on to both and they utilized both resources to pass.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
    I need to do some ACAS training...
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used it for HBSS (good) and CEH (not bad). It's definitely worth a look, though I mostly see people using it for DoD tools like ACAS and HBSS.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
    I used it for HBSS (good) and CEH (not bad). It's definitely worth a look, though I mostly see people using it for DoD tools like ACAS and HBSS.

I got logged into it this morning. I looked at the advanced PCAP training and that looks pretty good so far.
  • StillStreamStillStream Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can't go wrong with it. Used it for ACAS training. Also, training counts towards Continuing Education credits so you can't beat that at all.
    Can't go wrong with it. Used it for ACAS training. Also, training counts towards Continuing Education credits so you can't beat that at all.
    It helped me tremendously with my CE on CompTia Security +!
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    CISSP videos are outdated the last time that I looked.
    The Safari Books online has a limited number of access vouchers DODwide. My LT and other soldiers tried to sign up recently and they didn't have space.
    I received an email the other day telling me to login or I would lose my access. I'm deployed and don't have much time but logged in and will start studying the CASP book to take the test.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used FedVTE as a secondary source to study for my CASP and thought it was very good. In my opinion it's 1000x better than the cybrary videos, which I also watched. The cybrary videos kind of briefly touch on subjects that should be discussed way more in-depth. The FedVTE courses are very in-depth and the instructor is very good as well. My other recommendation is that you take as many practice exams as you can and when you get a question wrong, research the topic you missed and understand why you missed it. Look for key words or something that is specific to a protocol or control. This will help you GREATLY in studying for the exam. The CASP is no joke, it's a tough exam. Good luck!
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which course is the HBSS course?
    gncsmith wrote: »
    Which course is the HBSS course?

The two HBSS courses are "DISA HBSS 201 Admin ePO5.1 (2014 version)" and DISA HBSS 301 Advanced ePO5.1 (2014 version)" If/when you apply for any DoD positions that ask for an HBSS cert or even a McAfee cert, these are the certifications they are referring to.
    Yeah, thanks but I just researched it and since I don't have a CAC nor a .mil or .gov email I don't have access to it nor does it show in my course listings.
    Bummer. Things like this and free access to safari online keep me in the DoD space even though I've long wanted to leave. There are some good benefits available to IT folks that sadly few take advantage of...
    Yeah, I wish I would have known about it last year, I would have taken advantage of it since I was government employee at the time. Could really use the HBSS training for a job posting.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the tip I might use it for training next year for the CASP.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats how i got access to FEDVTE. i am a gov't contractor and definitely am taking advantage of all the training offered
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Just use your Govt email and you will be in... Alot easier to sign up compared to back in the day before they relaunched the site.

Also the most of the material is taught by Carnegie Mellon professors which is a game changer compared to Skillport.
    I can't, I not a government employee any more. I'll sign up once I'm back in a government position (one day).
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FedVTE is an EXCELLENT training resource. I recently used it help study for my CASP(which I passedicon_lol.gif). In my own personal opinion FedVTE is the best there is for training videos. Cybrary.it is also good but I felt their videos for the CASP were seriously lacking in detail.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have access to FedVTE, check on PCTC (https://pctc.cert.org/lms).
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gncsmith wrote: »
    I can't, I not a government employee any more. I'll sign up once I'm back in a government position (one day).

If you verify your veteran status, you can get access to it. I signed up for one after this thread started and I've been retired for over three years now.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If you verify your veteran status, you can get access to it. I signed up for one after this thread started and I've been retired for over three years now.

Doesnt matter whether you retired, if you served on Active Duty, ARNG (like me) or USAR and were honorably discharged, you are eligible. Sign up and verification via troop id took maybe 5 minutes and all kinds of great courses
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did not know about that site.

Signed up and verified.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I have access as a veteran, HOWEVER....as a veteran and not a government employee with a .gov, or .mil email address, I do not have access nor can I see all the available courses.

Example: the HBSS course is not in my menu, nor are a few others. If you look at the FedVTE Course Catalog it will list all available yet not all will be in your menu.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Still, free training is free training! I poked around some of the courses and they seem good. Definitely something to add to my watch list.
    Oh, I agree, it's still good training and I'm grateful for it, I just wish it was access to all of them. Or I wish I would have known about about it when I was a govie.
    McxRisley wrote: »
    FedVTE is an EXCELLENT training resource. I recently used it help study for my CASP(which I passedicon_lol.gif). In my own personal opinion FedVTE is the best there is for training videos. Cybrary.it is also good but I felt their videos for the CASP were seriously lacking in detail.

Im taking my test soon. Do you think the CASP videos and Pearson book are enough?