Security+ without any previous certs

Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Will a Security + cert be sufficient in place of A + ? I have previous experience working in IT and am wanting to bypass the A +. I have taken the Security + practice tests and score in between 75-85%.

Comments

• BillieJo91BillieJo91 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sufficient in place of the A+ for what, a job? It really depends. I personally skipped the A+ and went with my Net+ and am working on Security+
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Absolutely, depending on what you're trying to do. I skipped A+ and got Security+ first. The helpdesk would probably care more about the A+ than any other field would, and I didn't want to work helpdesk, so I didn't lose any sleep over it! :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When you say you already "have experience", what are you referring to? Assuming your profile is accurate and you are 18, I would get A+ first. Although you can get Network+ and Security+ without previous certifications, the jobs you would qualify for at that age more than likely will want proof that you have the foundational knowledge...enter A+.

Don't be swayed by some of the other stories you see on here as many have other experiences that let them advance a little quicker...not to mention companies would be more likely to take a chance on somebody a little bit older than somebody who is 18 fresh out of high school.

You have plenty of years ahead of you so just remember it is a marathon not a sprint.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Sec+ does not take the place of the A+. it depends on the job. If the job says "looking for canidates with A+ or Net+" and you have Sec+ then they would want you to get A+. Honestly I would start with A+ and go from there. Since you have prev experience in IT then allow me to ask... What are you referring to?

Can you list the steps on how to take a part a laptop and put it back together?
    Do you know the difference between RAM, ROM, CPU, GPU,
    Do you know how to take a part and put a PC back together?

I skipped A+ and went for Sec+ because the Help Desk job required Sec+ and a MTA. But I would start with A+ and build from there...
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not get both? Heck might as well go the trio. You could finish all three in a year.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    byron66 wrote: »
    Why not get both? Heck might as well go the trio. You could finish all three in a year.

+1 Good Idea. :)
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • MrGoodMrGood Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seems that there's so much variance in what a job requires, allows, or pays for; aside from one's personal path of choice. I guess no cert is a bad one, but depending on where you want to go or stay dictates certs and the order going about obtaining them no?
  • Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the good responses. I plan on getting both at some point in the future, but IT security is just a more interesting topic to read about.