Options

Server 2012 r2 — Opening firewall on remote Server Core machine for MMC

anourianouri Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
MCSA student here. I'm having some difficulty with this one.

Same subnet and workgroup.

Server 1 is a physical 2012 R2 server. Server 2 is a Server Core running as a VM on a workstation.

As part of an exercise, I added server 2 to All Servers on Server 1's Server Manager. I logged in and saved login info via "Manage As" and via right clicking Server 2 in All Server I can perform all tasks except for "Computer Management". Now here comes the part where I must open up the firewall ports on the remote machine (Server 2) to allow remote Computer Management access.

My book provides these steps to perform the first part, which is to allow me to use one MMC snap-in (Adv. Firewall) remotely so I can open up the rest of the firewall ports. I figure it's easier to do this because doing via Server Core CLI (cmd or powershell) is very tedious less efficient.

Here are the instructions: https://i.sli.mg/XpPcrK.png -Mind you, I ran the command listed in step # 3 by opening powershell via All Servers, right clicking Server 2's powershell and the command seems to have gone thru (no error).
The process fails for me at step 5, where I'm to add the MMC Adv. firewall snap-in. I get this error: https://i.sli.mg/ZDuaF9.png

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong or what the issue is here? I appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cyclekingcycleking Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is Server1 a domain controller? and Server2 is a member of a workgroup? I would take a look at the server1's trusted hosts file. Server1 must trust Server2.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • Options
    anourianouri Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cycleking wrote: »
    Is Server1 a domain controller? and Server2 is a member of a workgroup? I would take a look at the server1's trusted hosts file. Server1 must trust Server2.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks for your reply. Both machines are in a workgroup. Server 1 is trying to remotely connect to Server 2 via MMC.