Are there any simulator out there for me to setup full DC environment?

dannieboizdannieboiz Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been using HyperV and VMWare whenever I need to test something. But they're mostly work related and nothing personal.

I'm getting to the point where I'd like to update my MCSA 2000 to MCSE 2012 and perhaps do a CCNA as well.

Are there things out there beside VMs I can use to simulate a 2008/2012 DC, Child Domain etc... cause the VM is taking up too much of the resources on my computer.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What about AWS or Azure? There's cost involved of course, so you may want to evaluate that against an on-prem lab.
  • dannieboizdannieboiz Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never used AWS but see that there's a free one, is that sufficient?

I do have an older Xeon X3440 with 16gb of ram that I recently took offline that used to host my NVR software, instead of cloud services, perhaps firing that thing back up and slap VMs on there instead to leave my current NVR resources for itself.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft Technet Virtual Labs has a few scenarios but if you want a completely unrestricted environment then you ware better off signing up for an Azure account.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • dannieboizdannieboiz Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for that, I'll start with the free stuff first then work my way up as needed. That's perfect. icon_cheers.gif