VMware and Licensing

GrigsbyGrigsby Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys.

I had a question about licensing with windows. I am using vmware server to run my eval copies of server 2003. I need a client OS to mess with for the labs. So, can I install the copy of XP pro that I have as my primary OS on the same machines, as a VM OS?

I other words can I run the same copy of XP on the same machine at the same time?

This wouldn't violate any licensing would it?

And I think as long as the two machines operate under different IP addresses there would be no conflict with the software...I am behind a NAT gateway.

I wasn't sure. 'icon_rolleyes.gif'

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    If your running it as two machines with different IP address' then wouldnt this count as two machines?

Depends what type of licence you have for your OS.

Im just speculating here btw. I dont know either way for sure. icon_confused.gif

[Edit - If your running it soley on one PC and its a home lab and not connected to internet, i cant see a problem - Who would know?....]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think that's "legal".
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't see a problem with it. Your not making a profit from it and your trying to better youself. In the long run, more money for M$ anyway.

If your a business, I would advise against it. Thats when it could get you in trouble for licensing.
  • GrigsbyGrigsby Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually called M$ up today and they didn't have a problem with it. I am installing right now, so, if I get a love note from M$ saying that Im in violation Ill let you know. icon_wink.gif
    OK, bad news, this doesnt work. A VM machine actually has a unique hardware identity, seperate from the actual computer that it is running on.

So, bad news; You cant run the same exact OS as your primary OS AND as a Virtual Machine because there is a conflict in the hardware identities that the OS uses to detect whether is had been activated or not. Essentially it thinks it is on two different machines, when physically it is not. Logically it is.

Good News; If you had a an M$ Software product and ran it exclusively as a Virtual Machine, you could then transfer it to different machines as easily as trasnfering a folder (of potentially many gigabytes worth of data, mind you). You might not want to run the product on multiple machnes at the same time if you used it as a serious solution for a desktop OS, becuase things like updates might get messed up. But you could move it from machine to machine without ever having to re-activate it.

So I guess if I want a client XP pro I will have to shell our the dough for it. Bummer. icon_confused.gif
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Grigsby wrote:
    OK, bad news, this doesnt work. A VM machine actually has a unique hardware identity, seperate from the actual computer that it is running on.

So, bad news; You cant run the same exact OS as your primary OS AND as a Virtual Machine because there is a conflict in the hardware identities that the OS uses to detect whether is had been activated or not. Essentially it thinks it is on two different machines, when physically it is not. Logically it is.

Good News; If you had a an M$ Software product and ran it exclusively as a Virtual Machine, you could then transfer it to different machines as easily as trasnfering a folder (of potentially many gigabytes worth of data, mind you). You might not want to run the product on multiple machnes at the same time if you used it as a serious solution for a desktop OS, becuase things like updates might get messed up. But you could move it from machine to machine without ever having to re-activate it.

So I guess if I want a client XP pro I will have to shell our the dough for it. Bummer. icon_confused.gif

If you're using it as you describe, when it gets to the point in the activation wizard to select a method. Select activate by phone, and call the 866 number you're given. You'll have to say to the automated system "representative" a couple of times. When the rep gets on and asks have you activated this product before, tell him yes. Then tell him exactly what you just told us, you're using it on virtual machine or virtual PC in a test lab. I'm 99% certain they will give you an activation ID and allow you to proceed. If for some reason they've changed their stance on this, THEN, shell out the dough for a license, but give it try first.

Keatron.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had exactly the same issue.

When I was setting up my Lab I had two evaluation keys for 2003 server but really needed a virtual XP client as well. So I thought that I’d try my luck and installed the same XP key that I use on my main machine for the virtual machine copy (all on the same physical PC). The activation wizard fired up and I gave MS a call. The representative said that this was no problem and gave me the code and I proceed to pass the activation! :)

Good luck!
    Sweet!

I thought that I might be out of luck. I'll call them up first of the week.

The data tech on the phone told me that this wouldnt be a problem but I didnt know to ask for additional product key.

Thanks for the information. icon_thumright.gif
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No worries, good luck - let us know how you get on! :D