70-461

scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
Taking the test at 8:30. Nervous: Ready Stressed: Ready.. LOL..See you on the other side. icon_study.gif
Never let your fear decide your fate....

Comments

• gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Let us know how you did and give us some feedback.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Failed again. Back to the drawing board. At least it isn't required for me at work (meaning, I won't get fired if I don't pass it..)icon_cry.gif
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What was your practice routine like?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    I have access to the Army's skillport-used that. I purchased measureup practice test and lab, I read the training kit and I went for a class about 4 months ago.
    Possible to install SQL Server locally and practice on the AdventureWorks database?
    I have done that as well...I just bought transcender for a 60 day online access. (for the practice test..)
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep us posted I am working on this one as well. Failed twice already, sad thing is I have over 3 years of MS SQL knowledge. Oh well, stick with it you'll get it.
    Keep us posted I am working on this one as well. Failed twice already, sad thing is I have over 3 years of MS SQL knowledge. Oh well, stick with it you'll get it.
    I have experience as well, it is like I don't know anything at all (especially studying with transcender). LOL So, the third time better be the charm!
    Did you see MS has the booster pack, 4 retakes for 200? We could always get through using brute force, I am seriously considering it. :)
  • daniel108daniel108 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Scaredofrests,

What kind of experience do you have?

I just started my first IT job about 10 months ago. I get to work with SQL server, writing select statementd, some DMLs, backing up and restore servers. I've gone through the mva videos, it seems doable.

Just wondering what kind of background you have because I feel like I may be underestimating the test.
    I had about 3 years SQL dev experience when I took this exam. This thread has some more details on my study routine.
    I have about 5 or so years experience.
    Cool, I don't have much. I went through the mva videos, created my own database, and I've been getting comfortable creating tables, triggers, functions, etc.

I ordered the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Administration: Real-World Skills by Sybex, hopefully I can get a feel for the questions using their practice exams.

I'm planning to take the exam at the end of the month.
    It's hard getting back up again to take this exam. The only reason I am doing it because I want the paper, it doesn't really add value to my resume or help me get promoted. Ugh....
    Yeah, im hoping to use it as leverage for a raise. Plus, the company reimburses for certs so why not right?

What does it say your weakness is, after you take the test?
    @databasehead

you don't think the SQL MCSA adds anything to your resume?
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    I had about 3 years SQL dev experience when I took this exam. This thread has some more details on my study routine.

Thanks for the info

I feel pretty comfortable writing queries, its the part I like most from my job. Better than resetting passwords or installing printers.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many questions did you encounter on the exam? There doesnt seem to be an accurate number out there, some say 50 other say 60. not that it matters but oh well just wondering.
    I want to say 60 but I don't remember to be honest.

@ Daniel sure the heck looks better than the A+! :) Just messing around...
    I want to say 60 but I don't remember to be honest.

@ Daniel sure the heck looks better than the A+! :) Just messing around...

heck yeah it does. I just got my A+ a couple of weeks ago, so still kind of proud of it.
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »

Do you work as a SQL developer?

I'm hoping to be able to make the jump from help desk to a DBA type position in a year or so. Not sure if you have any advice.

I'm starting off with this certification and building my own databases.

At work, I look for opportunities to write custom reports for our clients to practice joins, declaring variables, subqueries, etc.

My manager even proposed that we add one of my reports as a supplement to our application for our clients.
    So, I looked up some reviews on the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Administration: Real-World Skills by Sybex. I might not have made the right choice. Apparently, it's not really helpful to the test and it's light on T-SQL.

I might end up getting Training Kit.
    I just got my A+ a few weeks ago, still proud of it haha
    The training Kit, in my opinion, is not enough (at least, not for me). I have added transcender to my study prep and measureup labs.
    I looked at the transcender and it's pretty pricey.

How are you liking it so far?
    I just bought the training kit eBook.

I'm enjoying it so far. I think I'm just going to use the training kit, the Sybex book, and the mva videos.

Hopefully its enough.
    I personally thought the training kit was lame. I ended up getting SQL Server 2012 Programming book from Mike Murach, it's not aligned with the exam topics, but the techniques and coding suggestions are very helpful. I love the aggregation components in that book.

The Training Kit is a fail IMO. But of course that is coming from a guy who failed the exam twice. Good news is management likes me and I have been promoted twice lol.

I guess the saying you can't have it all is correct!

I might end up going through the Lynda.com 70-461 training, but man 5+ hours! It's almost like they think you don't have a life. :)
    Thoughts about getting the MTA for database? Do you think this would give you some momentum to go into the 70-461? I'm seriously thinking about it, I want to get so MS database on my resume. It's the only database management system I use besides Access.
    yeah, i dont have a life haha

i work full-time Mon-Fri, and then I have a second job on the weekend where I work 12hrs Sat and Sun.

I basically stare at a screen all day at my weekend job, so I spend it studying for certs and watching youtube videos.

@databasehead

do you work as a DBA already?
    Thoughts about getting the MTA for database? Do you think this would give you some momentum to go into the 70-461? I'm seriously thinking about it, I want to get so MS database on my resume. It's the only database management system I use besides Access.

MTA database official book is great. Your call on if the exam is worth the $150.