Describe a time you had to make a difficult decision.

Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have an interview coming up and i'm slightly concerned as I cannot for the life of me think of an answer to this question, and when I do, I think, well was it really a difficult decision?

I work on a Service Desk which is dominated by process. Everything is covered by process and you never have to make a decision.

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of this question, is when a user 'accidently' spilled coffee on his laptop so that he could get a replacement. There was nothing wrong with the laptop and he wanted one of the Win7 ones we were rolling out. I reported him to Service Management instead of passing it to Deskside. Process would dictate that intentional damage would have to be reported through the proper channels, so technically I didn't make a 'difficult decision'.

If you were interviewing, and the interviewee used this as an example, what would you think?

Server and Storage Analyst
CompTIA A+
MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your situation could work. I think interviewers also need to consider the questions based on the type of role they are trying to fill. If you're filling a helpdesk role people haven't always had a "tell me when everything hit the fan one day and how you fixed it by yourself?" sort of questions. With that said, don't be afraid to use personal situations as well. If you've had a difficult decision in non-IT jobs, or even outside of work, just to show your thought/logic process.

But, don't be so personal that it gives them something to possibly judge you on. I'll explain what I mean by that. Awhile back we were hiring a new technical manager. Someone came in for an interview, was going fine, someone asked about relating to employees, being a general people person, something along those lines. The applicant went on this long story about how someone was let go under him and how the person came to his house because they were so close and they both cried together on his front porch about it. At least one person in the room came to me later and said, "he had me until the part where he cried with employees, sound weak to me".
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    How do you KNOW this person did it deliberately? Lets say you saw them do it.... Why would this be a "difficult decision"? It doesn't address the question in my mind.

A difficult decision in an interview process(in my opinion) should deal directly with you. For example: "I really loved working at X company, the people were great, and there was amazing unit cohesion. However due to fiscal reasons I am forced to look for a new position to better provide for my family"
  • CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even if you don't have a success story of a difficult time, it's okay to let them know how you didn't succeed but next time a situation like that happens, how you would handle it.

That shows that you have the ability to not make the same mistake twice and is a different approach most people take, which could make you stand out a bit more.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always use the story of my personal life to answer this question.

I really loved working at Samsung, the people were great, and there was amazing teamwork. However due to fiscal reasons I was forced to resign for a new position to better provide for my family"
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I had a previous job that I loved but due to the contract running down, I had to find a new position before being let go. I loved working there and would have really liked to see the contract through, but that would have left me jobless.

I think i've got this question nailed.

Thanks for the help.

Server and Storage Analyst
    CompTIA A+
    MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712
  • bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had this question in an interview a long time ago. I remember racking my brain for a while trying to think of something, but nothing came to mind. So I said something along the lines of, "I've never had to make a difficult decision, and I'm not looking forward to the first time it happens. But I'm sure it'll happen eventually." That was as honest as I could be. And I ended up getting the job.

Not saying my answer was a good answer, but I didn't have a better one. I've been through a few interviews and I've come to believe that the confidence in which you say something can be as important as what you say.
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    One time, during a localized zombie attack, I had to make a choice between saving my boss OR his smoking hot 20 year old secretary.

Now she is my wife.

See if you score points for originality with that one! :)

I hate behavioral questions in interviews. Every time the interviewer opens his mouth and says "describe"..... I dread what I will hear next.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    one time, during a localized zombie attack, i had to make a choice between saving my boss or his smoking hot 20 year old secretary.

Now she is my wife.

See if you score points for originality with that one! :)

#winning!!!
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios