Which project management cert?

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
I've worked in network administration/engineering since 2008. I did some IT-related project management and I'm thinking about a project mgmt cert.
Do you perceive any value to Comptia Project+? Otherwise, do you recommend CAPM, Prince2 or PMP?

Comments

• CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I would only recommend PMI's PMP certification for project management, others I do not see the value of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    PMP if you're eligible to take it.
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    PMP (Project Management Professional) is one of best for you.
  • outsider73outsider73 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually check the value of a certification by looking for them in job offers on monster.com or dice.com. The more job offers there are the best certification it is. In our case, PMP for sure.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Prince2 if you want something cheap and easy to access. CAPM and PMP both have requirement for education and/or experience, and are a little more expensive. You are best to check your local market, though. Prince2 does seem more popular in Europe, and places where ITIL has strong presence. PMP/CAPM seems more in demand in North America.

For IT generally, agile methods are usually more appropriate, and PMP and Prince2 don't have that focus. These include strong Agile Manifesto methods (ie they comply 100% to the Agile Manifesto), Scrum, Kanban and Adaptive Project Framework.

PMI (who deliver PMP/CAPM) do have Agile certification. The biggest 'agile' certification is probably Certified Scrum Master.

There's others as well, like Lean and Six Sigma.

If you are really serious, then you will be proficient with more than one framework/method and be able to choose the appropriate tool for the job.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • coolkevincoolkevin Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep, PMP for sure in the US. The Certified Scrum Master would be a good addition, but none of the others are likely to be something an employer is specifically seeking.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    coolkevin wrote: »
    Yep, PMP for sure in the US. The Certified Scrum Master would be a good addition, but none of the others are likely to be something an employer is specifically seeking.

Yeah, this is where I guess I differ a bit. Once you are somewhere beyond entry level, the expectation is that you can explain why the skills you have can be of benefit. They might only ask for PMP, but if you can then explain how PMBOK is useful in this context, but this other way is better in this context, or that modifying this method you can streamline the PM process to get more real work done, that's where you can demonstrate how you are better from the guy who says "Yeah, I've used PMBOK and have PMP": you know project management, they have PMP.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM