HUGE Price Spike on Cisco IINS v3.0 E-Learning

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
The Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 has had a gigantic price increase and is now selling for $1500 on Cisco's site. This is a move in a very bad direction in my opinion. $1500 for what I would consider to be almost necessary study material? I'd already decided that I would not take another Cisco test after I pass this exam, but this just gives me another reason not to.

I'm hoping this is just a mistake.

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning/implementing-cisco-network-security-iins-v3-0-elt-iins-v3-0-019451
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• KoldKold Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's crazy. I did notice that some things seemed a bit different in the course as of like 2-3 days ago. I'm about 1/2 way through it right now, and have encountered random bugs with labs that won't let you grade them, lose connection, etc. Now, all of a sudden they all work just fine, and all the sections I've previously completed have new videos at the very top of the slides that used to be just text. Seems like they added a few dozen videos and fixed some lab issues, then quadrupled the price.

It does seem like a great resource so far, but I would never pay $1500 for it, as someone doing it on my own.
  • greeneongreeneon Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yikes! Man am I glad that I enrolled before this ridiculous price hike! That's almost a 430% increase. It must be due to popularity!
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of the product. To be honest, I consider it almost necessary to pass. But, considering it's now $1500, if I hadn't already bought it when it was cheaper, then I wouldn't even bother myself with obtaining this cert. I think Cisco is way overestimating the value of their CCNA Security cert by pricing the training this high.

Also, I've submitted like 15-16 bug reports on various things from typos to lab issues. They've all been addressed very quickly.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yikes. Not fun at ALL. My suggestion? Check Skillsoft in a couple months at wgu.skillport.com. If you are enrolled in WGU or ever been enrolled in WGU, you get it free through the student portal. I found a bunch of Cisco CCNA/CCNP/CCIE official video courses in there and Cisco Learning Network even specifically sells Skillsoft courses on there. I checked and didn't see them on there yet but I'm sure they'll eventually drop on there. Hopefully it drops soon.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • LDhikerLDhiker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was going to buy it on Friday, I didn't have my CC with me at work. I went to buy it today, saw the price hike. I dropped them an email to see if why it went up. Hopefully they drop it back down, can't afford 1500 out of my own pocket.
    Another good option: There seems to be an INE course for IINS 210-260 that's about 30 hours long. It was just released and they're only charging $79 for it: http://www.ine.com/self-paced/ccna-security/bootcamps.htm

It looks like there's also a Chris Bryant CCNA Security Series that's 13 hours long for $30: https://www.udemy.com/ccnasecurityvideobootcamp/

Given the length of the videos, I'd probably go for the INE ones mixed with the official OCG guide and maybe the Chris Bryant videos if you want to just hear a different way of explaining some of the same concepts. That should keep the costs under $150 for you guys and it might even be better training.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    I have the Chris Bryant videos, I got them when I purchased his Ccna stuff two years ago. They are still the 554 videos, they are still decent. I will look at the INE stuff a little more this week. Kicking myself for not buying the 2 year subscription special they had two weeks ago. I had the IPexpert Everything CCNP package, but that is gone.

It also looks like everyone of the courses got a price hike, I was checking out the CCNP stuff this week, they are all $1000 now.
  • Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats insane! I might just hold off on this cert till things settle down. Also when more material comes out.
    While we are on the topic of videos ... The INE ones has anyone watched the new ones?
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I have purchased the CCNA Security INE videos for $79 and also the CCNP material (pre-ordered,but I'm downloading as they are released). The videos so far are really informative and I find the trainer (Christian Matei) very knowledgeable - I think he must be a new trainer. I would definitely recommend these as a supplement to the book, also you get 2 courses the actual Technologies course and the bootcamp - pretty good for $79... £50'ish for me..
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    I have purchased the CCNA Security INE videos for $79 and also the CCNP material (pre-ordered,but I'm downloading as they are released). The videos so far are really informative and I find the trainer (Christian Matei) very knowledgeable - I think he must be a new trainer. I would definitely recommend these as a supplement to the book, also you get 2 courses the actual Technologies course and the bootcamp - pretty good for $79... £50'ish for me..

Good to hear!
  • JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Maybe Cisco is just mad about the backlash against their exam?
    Maybe Cisco is just mad about the backlash against their exam?

Just wondering the reasoning behind 300 to 1500...
    I reached out to them through email. I also saw the same message on another message board.

Thank you for your post. The e-learning product has been redesigned to deliver an enhanced self-paced learning experience, which explains the recent price change. Candidates are presented with a much more engaging and effective learning course, consisting of instructor videos, student guide text, interactive labs, and more to help you master those skills and increase your level of knowledge to help you pass the DESGN exam. Again, the e-learning course is self-paced, so you get the flexibility you need to study/learn at a pace that is most convenient for you.

With this e-learning course, you will get:
    -Instructor videos
    -Student guide text
    -Interactive “Discovery” Labs
    -Content Review Questions at the end of topics
    -Graded Challenges (Labs and/or Tests) at the end of sections
    -Gamification features (badges and leaderboards)
    LDhiker wrote: »
    student guide text, interactive labs, and more to help you master those skills and increase your level of knowledge to help you pass the DESGN exam.

Design exam? either way for a price hike like that it better give me the damn answers to the test lol
    I was able to talk to them through email the last couple days. I got the Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 for the original 350, but it was a one time offer.

Looks like I am starting my studies this week.
    FYI, the CCNA Security videos from Cisco are included in Safari books subscriptions:

$39/month isn't too bad. Plus there are always deals out there to cut that down
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931