Once more unto the breach, dear friends

nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
Alright guys and gals! I've done a "re-imagining" of my resume and turned the focus to what I'm good at now, not what I aspire to be good at in the future. Please take a moment to check it out. I'll be happy to see your thoughts/critiques!

icon_redface.gif
20160522 Anonymized.pdf
2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
"I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep the summary to 2 sentences. Seems like a lot of fluff. The first sentence you have is fine.

For Certs. The last row looks like 2 certs? If you have your MCITP: Virt Admin cert then that's 1 line, if you have your MCSA 2012, that's another line.

Combine HW and SW into just Experience. See below....

Microsoft Outlook 2013/365, Lotus Notes 8.5, MicrosoftLync 2013/365, Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1/10, Norton/McAfee Antivirus, McAfee Endpoint Encryption, McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator, RSA SecureID TokenConsole, HEAT/Remedy ticketing, Cisco/Nortel VPN, IBM iSeries AS400, LANDesk/VNC/RDP, MS Office 2013/365, EFS Data Recovery Agent, Active Directory, Blackberry/iPhone/Android support, Avaya/Polycom phone equipment, A/V support.

For your experience....really READ your statements, as a lot of it doesn't make sense. Your are adding a lot of fluff to your text. For example

What are your doing to "improve speed,reliability, and security of operation."

This statement doesn't make sense "Records detailed documentation of results-driven, prompt....."

Also watch your grammar, know where to capitalize, and remove anything that starts with "i.e.".

Only have the last 10 years or 3 jobs on your resume. For yours, leave the last 2 jobs on there, the rest I would drop. If a company really wants to know that information they will do a background check, and/or have you fill out previous employer info.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My personal preferences:

Remove Personal Summary. This should be a cover letter

Certs at the bottom of the resume unless they're immediately required by the job

Hardware only list if it's necessary for the job. And only list the necessary hardware. List at the bottom of the resume since your professional experience is probably more relevant & should be up top.

Ditto software.

Maybe combine hardware & software

"Records detailed documentation of results-driven..." - rephrase & shrink it down some. Something like "Prompt and professional service delivering 99% customer satisfaction across 2500 tickets over two years.

Sorry, I quit reading the entire thing. One note - do the things from 1999-2007 really help the resume? If you get the point across with the most recent examples, just drop the old stuff (if unnecessary for indicating skills) to take it down to about one page in total.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would leave off some of those "tools" if it was my resume.. if you've been in IT support since 1999 knowing how to use Remote assistant/Desktop and especially Internet Explorer is a given. My 2 year child knows how to use IE. I would get rid of the legacy stuff like lotus notes to save space. also to shorten the CV i would get rid of all the version numbers of the software you've listed and just put the latest version and lastly listen to the advice from the above posters.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My personal preferences:

Remove Personal Summary. This should be a cover letter

@555 You would know the US market more than i do but here in the UK very seldom are you ever asked for a cover letter if ever unless you are applying for a government role so keeping a brief summary on your CV is the norm here but maybe in the US its not.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do the things from 1999-2007 really help the resume?

I only wanted to include that information because I've got a couple of marquee named companies in there at the bottom, but point well taken. Thanks so much for the advice so far! I think that it's made a HUGE difference! Please take a moment to add any comments that you may have on the changes!

:D
    20160522 Anonymized v2.pdf
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I really want to know more about your Sarari and McAfee Endopint skills. I'm always intrigued by technologies I've never heard before icon_smile.gif
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice catch cyberguypr! Thanks again all for your time and opinions! You guys are great! I really appreciate your assistance!

icon_thumright.gif