Options

Cissp vs. Casp

firemike314firemike314 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
All,

It is almost that time again to start preparing for my next adventure. I am taking CISSP this Fall and just passed my CASP. I am curious on how much there is a difference. I have the Shawn Harris book with the 10 domains in it even though there are 8 now. Any other recommendations on other books to study from? I also finally start my Masters in Information Security Operations this Fall as well. Any advice would be much appreciated. I also have 8 years of ISSE.

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CASP is more hands-on while CISSP is more security management and there is a fair amount of overlap between the two.
    Given your background, I suggest you get Eric Conrad's CISSP third edition instead of the official study guide.
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Shon Harris book is good as a starting point, practising the questions on the cd, etc. But, the material is not really up to date. I would not spend too much time, except for an overview.
    Eric Conrad book seems to be great, I read a few chapters only, it is more readable than Sybex 2015.
    I used Sybex 2015 as my main source, could be a bit dry, but it is more official.
    Cybrary.it videos are a must, about 15h of good material.
    Sybex include over 1000 questions, but you can test using CCCure, nothing will exactly reflect the exam questions, but it is a good way to prepare for the exam.
    11th hour from Eric Conrad again, great summary of definitions and concepts, about 200 pages.
    Many books are coming this summer, Cissp for dummies has been published a few days ago.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All,

It is almost that time again to start preparing for my next adventure. I am taking CISSP this Fall and just passed my CASP. I am curious on how much there is a difference. I have the Shawn Harris book with the 10 domains in it even though there are 8 now. Any other recommendations on other books to study from? I also finally start my Masters in Information Security Operations this Fall as well. Any advice would be much appreciated. I also have 8 years of ISSE.

I am coming at this from the opposite end. I just passed my CISSP, now I'm doing the FEDVTE training and reading the pearson book for casp. There won't be any labs for the CISSP, but bring a lunch for the volume of questions.