Options

attending Capella University for Info Assurance and Security... help

plrbear1028plrbear1028 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello all,

I'm attending Capella Univ. But is it worth my time and money? I'm asking because being in the IT field, you are expected to know certain things and sometimes schools won't provide that.

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well ... seems that the cart is before the horse. You should of asked and answered that question before attending. Regardless, you're going to get a mix of answers depending on people's experiences with that program. Traditionally, the advice most given is to stay away from for-profit colleges due to accreditation issues.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am curious, what's the story here? Undergrad? Why did you chose Capella? What is making you doubt your decision?
  • Options
    I'm seeing that many people prefer a degree from school, in addition to certs. I chose Capella because it's accredited and the flexpath program is decent price. I'm doubting my decision because 1- is it mandatory to go? in the IT field, it's very different. 2- should I spend time writing papers or learn on my own and get certs?
  • Options
    I agree, but I did ask questions and I'm just curious to what other people think/say because I do not have anyone to go to for advice or a mentor.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion college is beneficial if you get a degree in something that holds a higher ROI and can help advance your career. You'll get out of it as much as you put into it. So to answer your two questions:

1. No, it's not mandatory for the IT field. However, a lot of jobs do like to see a degree. Particularly, those jobs that are in management.
    2. This one's easy ... if you're going to continue with college you'll have to write papers. If you decide not to go to college you can learn on your own and get certs. OR you could go to college and learn on your own to get certs.
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote: »
    In my opinion college is beneficial if you get a degree in something that holds a higher ROI and can help advance your career. You'll get out of it as much as you put into it. So to answer your two questions:

1. No, it's not mandatory for the IT field. However, a lot of jobs do like to see a degree. Particularly, those jobs that are in management.
    2. This one's easy ... if you're going to continue with college you'll have to write papers. If you decide not to go to college you can learn on your own and get certs. OR you could go to college and learn on your own to get certs.

I think I will go ahead, finish up college AND learn on my own/get certs
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Degrees are good, so are real-world skills. Get both. Book smarts and hands-on smarts.
  • Options
    3mack3mack Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello all,

I'm attending Capella Univ. But is it worth my time and money? I'm asking because being in the IT field, you are expected to know certain things and sometimes schools won't provide that.

Personally, I was with Capella's FP program and I switched. The certificates you receive with your degree will be much cheaper than obtaining them on your own. Additionally, you do not have full control over your educational path like you do with WGU. I was one of the first students in the FP program. While there is a great FP Coach that has helped me greatly, I went through multiple coaches, and it took weeks for some course instructors/tutors to get back to me. Ultimately, their response times hindered my progress.