VLAN tagging

White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
vlan dot1q tag native This cmd will tag traffic from ALL VLANs including the native VLAN.

Only way to untag traffic for a certain VLAN is to change the native VLAN on the switch via switchport trunk native vlan #.

These are the only ways to tag and untag traffic right? Just want to make sure there is no other cmds to tag traffic for just 1 VLAN rather then ALL VLANs.
"The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Those are not the only commands around tagging no. What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Just prepping for the exam. Is their a cmd to tag traffic for just 1 VLAN instead of all VLANs? I'm assuming not since VLANs need to be tagged to be identified which would make sense.

I couldn't find such a cmd and wanted to make sure.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Exam wise you're likely safe with what you got.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just prepping for the exam. Is their a cmd to tag traffic for just 1 VLAN instead of all VLANs? I'm assuming not since VLANs need to be tagged to be identified which would make sense.

I couldn't find such a cmd and wanted to make sure.

Only one VLAN can be untagged(native) otherwise it's impossible for the switch to know to which VLAN the data belongs.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Exam-wise I think you're OK. 802.1q tags all frames except for the native VLAN and ISL on the other hand tags all frames going across the trunk. I also think ISL adds a header and a trailer to frame whereas 802.1q just inserts a tag into the frame. Hope this helps, good luck :)
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    vlan dot1q tag native

Command to tag native vlan also.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    dppagc wrote: »
    vlan dot1q tag native

Command to tag native vlan also.

Yeah, that's like the first line of the first post in this thread. Apparently, it's not the only command around tagging, but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM