What kind if rack do i search for?

sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
Quick question. I have 3 x 3560's and 3 x 2811's.

I would like a cheap desktop rack for them, but what do i search for?
Do not want a big, expensive cabinet.
Have not had much luck on ebay searching for cisco rack and I don't know what the size description is.

Thanks

Comments

• fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I have 4 3560s and 3 2811's. I just stack them on a moveable cart, switches on top of the routers.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Server Racks, Cabinets, Mounts & More - Newegg.com
    Go there^ and use the search settings to the left. Wall mount or 2 post open frame for small desktop configurations. Maybe something like StarTech RK12OD 12U Black Server Racks/Cabinets - Newegg.com
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sferg410 wrote: »
    Quick question. I have 3 x 3560's and 3 x 2811's.

I would like a cheap desktop rack for them, but what do i search for?
    Do not want a big, expensive cabinet.
    Have not had much luck on ebay searching for cisco rack and I don't know what the size description is.

Thanks

I just typed open frame rack on eBay and found a couple of options that should fit the bill:
    Startech 12U desktop rack £40.94
    Norco 21U freestanding rack on castors £30.00 but you have to collect from Birmingham

You could also buy a standard-type 12U rack like this for £42.99 and just stand it on the floor (pretty much the setup I have in a spare bedroom, except I paid £70.00 for an ex-display unit with a couple of minor dents and had to collect it).

Basically your devices are 1U each, so you need an absolute minimum of 6U, but by buying a 12U rack you give yourself room to add more devices, or to mount a PDU (power distribution unit like this one). You can get 6-way units for slightly less, but again like the rack you leave yourself no room for expansion. You can even get standard plug types if you want. And don't forget your cage nuts and bolts to mount the kit.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can also look at the various Ikea hacks for racks. Lack Table, Rast Table (my favorite) and Corras table all turn up if you search Ikea Computer rack. Double check the dimensions of your switches vs the table in question though (I think the Rast one is a little shallow, though it looks the best).

The Ikea hacks, depending on what you mount and what room it's in,e tc, can help the equipment blend in a bit more if that's a concern.
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    Thanks GDaines.

Joelsfood, thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstood what I am looking for.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah Joel, I don't think you know anything about networking labs or equipment at all...icon_lol.gif

sferg, what he was referring to was building your own rack for what you need much cheaper than just buying one. Something like this 8U Rack Case From IKEA RAST Table
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    I understand that and I said thanks but I clearly said a desktop rack as they will be sitting on a desktop. I am not looking for what is essentially a cupboard with no doors to mount it in, just a frame, small footprint, hardly noticeable.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Your keywords for searching are:
    Desktop rack. Open Frame. Two post. 10RU, 12RU, 9RU or 10R, 12R etc. Anything from 6R to about 15R is ok. R and RU are used interchangeably.

Try various combinations and see what you get. One thing to keep in mind is that these racks are also popular amongst musicians and audio types, since a lot of their gear is rackmountable. Even looking for "DJ Racks" or "Studio Racks" can turn up some interesting alternatives.

As for the comments by BlackBeret and JoelsFood, you will come across this a lot in IT where you are given alternative solutions which may or may not fit. Sometimes the 'nonsolutions' will actually be better than what you were thinking, and sometimes just an irritating distraction. :/
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found my last 2 racks (A 42U 2 Post and a 36U 4 Post) on Craigslist. Both were around $75.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • JohnnyUtah41JohnnyUtah41 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think my Black Box rack is pretty sweet. Have had it for at least 5 years.

Before -

uUuEaoC.jpg

after i cleaned it up and got rid of some old switches

Tav0Ewi.jpg