MBA in Cyber Security

LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone here has any input on obtaining a MBA with a concentration in cyber security. I'm currently in the process of obtaining my MSIT from UMUC. They have a dual degree option in which you can obtain your MBA after completing your MSIT. However, the MBA from UMUC is IACBE accredited. It is from my understanding that AACSB accreditation is the golden standard. If I continue on with UMUC I believe I could have an MBA with 3 additional courses. On the her hand, if I choose to purse an AACSB accredited MBA elsewhere, I could be studying from 12-24 months. I would also like to mention that my pursuit of my MBA would be paid for by the GI Bill, so financing should not be a problem. I would like to see if I can get any input on the value of an MBA in the field of cyber security or IT.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you plan on working your way to management eventually? If so, maybe then, if you want to stay technical I don't think it's going to be a lot of benefit, especially considering you'd already have an MS in the field.
  • LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think my end goal would eventually lead me into management. Although, as of now I have zero management experience.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First things first, in several recent job searches that I have conducted, I have noticed that a large number of senior management positions are asking for both an MS and an MBA. I don't think you will have any hiring manager look at you funny because you have it. In fact, it will be useful for the business to know that they can talk to you using a common language.

I don't think you will find the matter of accreditation from a school like UMUC a sticking point. Let's face it, the big time businesses are looking for MBAs from Harvard, Yale, etc. Medium to small businesses looking for an IT/MBA combo are probably just looking for someone who holds said degrees and the degrees are not from diploma mills. Three extra classes and you have an MBA isn't a bad deal.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    North Central University has an MBA in infosec and it is accredited.
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LA2 wrote: »
    If I continue on with UMUC I believe I could have an MBA with 3 additional courses.

The three additional courses are 6 credits each. A friend of mine just completed this (we did the MS:IT together and then he stuck around another year and did the MBA).

Since I have my undergrad and MS:IT from UMUC I'm moving on to somewhere else to continue my education (another Masters from Penn State, or law school).
  • LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @stryder144 Your right. There seems to be a growing market for people with MBA's in the technical field. Since i have the opportunity to continue my education im considering my options with an MBA. The 3 additional courses from UMUC isn't a bad deal at all and is really tempting. My only concern would be the perception from hiring managers/recruiters/HR.

@Gess Congrats to both you! If you don't mind me asking, how has the MBA improved your friends marketability?