PASSED TODAY! Here are my thoughts...

abraham1493abraham1493 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
So today I sat for my Security+ exam. I had a class almost 2 years ago designed for Security+. I got a B in that class but because of a money situation at the time I did not take it. After moving to Texas with this wonderful IT job market I was able to obtain a job in IT. Anyways, I make decent money now and decided to sit for the exam. I purchased the voucher with the re-take exam and cert blaster. I used study materials from my previous security+ class and some other things. For practice Exams I used Comptia's CertMaster, Tesout's Security+ practice exams, and Exam Crams practice exams. As for books I used "Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals" and Sybex Security+ review guide. Sometimes I used professor Messer's videos along with Testout's video. If anyone would like to use my Testout course just PM me for the login. I will not need it anymore but have it till next January.

-As for the exam itself I walked in feeling prepared. Even with using Comptia's own practice exam it still was much more difficult. Half way through the exam I said to my self "Flip it, I failed" haha. I eventually found out at the end that I had Passed. I got a 799. So rounded its 89%. I am very pleased with my performance and the confidence I have received from passing is great. I purchased a bundle of coursed that was usually $1,800 for $30 from bleepingcomputer.com. It came with training on Security+, CEH, and CCNA Security. My question to people is what should I go for next? The CEH or the CCNA Security? I do not have the first part of the CCNA but have studied for it. Just have not taken the first exam. Any feed back is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Thanks, Abraham
Network+

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL I hated that. My heart was beating so fast. I clicked "No response" on everything just to get the result.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish that survey counted for like two points.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • cee134cee134 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will get my CEH after Sec+ but only because I think it will be more useful for what I'm doing. I want to work in a SOC. Also CEH will be easier for me to get then other certs (after Sec+). I'm at the point that I need some doors open and certs will help do that for me. Certs won't really matter in the long run, they will only get your foot in the door. What will help is having your own Lab (not hard to do) and showing your passion outside of work for security (being on twitter as a security guy, doing blogs, podcasts, ect). So that's what I'm working on, certs will be useful, but not what gets me a job. (I got some interviews because people though my cert classes where certs). But I didn't get the job because I needed more specialized knowledge, so I need to work in my Lab and understand security networking topics and tools much better then I do, my next step.
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • texaspride05texaspride05 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I take my sec+ next Friday. I have passed the exam before back in 2012 but it expired. I am an IT security program. I feel pretty confident with sec+ because I use the practice exams alot. I take really good notes in the class. Any other helpful tidbits would be greatly appreciated
  • eawemueawemu Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass! Now you should pursue CEH without hesitation. CEH gives you more job openings especially if you want to become a penetration tester.
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So today I sat for my Security+ exam. I had a class almost 2 years ago designed for Security+. I got a B in that class but because of a money situation at the time I did not take it. After moving to Texas with this wonderful IT job market I was able to obtain a job in IT. Anyways, I make decent money now and decided to sit for the exam. I purchased the voucher with the re-take exam and cert blaster. I used study materials from my previous security+ class and some other things. For practice Exams I used Comptia's CertMaster, Tesout's Security+ practice exams, and Exam Crams practice exams. As for books I used "Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals" and Sybex Security+ review guide. Sometimes I used professor Messer's videos along with Testout's video. If anyone would like to use my Testout course just PM me for the login. I will not need it anymore but have it till next January.

-As for the exam itself I walked in feeling prepared. Even with using Comptia's own practice exam it still was much more difficult. Half way through the exam I said to my self "Flip it, I failed" haha. I eventually found out at the end that I had Passed. I got a 799. So rounded its 89%. I am very pleased with my performance and the confidence I have received from passing is great. I purchased a bundle of coursed that was usually $1,800 for $30 from bleepingcomputer.com. It came with training on Security+, CEH, and CCNA Security. My question to people is what should I go for next? The CEH or the CCNA Security? I do not have the first part of the CCNA but have studied for it. Just have not taken the first exam. Any feed back is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Thanks, Abraham

Congrats on the pass Abraham!:) I think that CCNA Security would carry more weight with potential employers then with the Certified Ethical Hacker cert. It comes down to what you want to do in Security. Do you want to be an ethical hacker or do you want to a go into I.T Security in general? When I see a consensus that employers value a certain cert of another, that is the one I will shoot for.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • morkethmorketh Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Grats on passing!!! I'm studying my butt off right now trying to get ready for Sec+
  • JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, great score!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"