Options

How does the WGU work

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
So how are the classes? do you take alot of test write papers? or is it they give you study materials and you study till your ready to pass one final exam and move on. are there alot of essays ?
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It depends on your program, and if you need to take General Education classes. For my Bachelor's in Network Administration, most of my "assignments" were certification tests. Included were some CIW certs, MCSA Server 2008, and CCNA, to name a few. There were also a couple online-proctored WGU tests where they send you a webcam and watch you take an online test. There are a few written papers that you have to upload and have evaluated.

I took the Masters in Information Security and Assurance, and all the classes were written papers, with the exception of the EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker and Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator certifications.

With WGU, they provide you with all the learning materials they deem that you need, but you also get access to an online library with a ton of e-books. The learning resources are dependent on whatever you're studying. I've seen them use Ucertify and CBTNuggets, as well as others. You basically do a ton of self-study and submit the material when you think you're ready. You have a Student Mentor that is assigned to you throughout your entire program, and each course has at least one Course Mentor that is qualified in that particular subject that you can ask for advice.

Hope that helps. I was skeptical at first, but I happened to really enjoy both my Bachelors and Masters programs there. I learned a lot.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Are there a certain amount of assignments per class?

• Options
    It varies. For Bachelor's, it's usually going to be one assignment per class. For Masters, you will have multiple "Tasks" for each assignment. Do a quick search for "TaskStream" and you'll hear about all the horror stories with task submissions. They're all pretty accurate. The trick is trying to figure out EXACTLY what the evaluator is looking for when they compare your submission with the Rubric requirements. Obviously, the Bachelor's assignments are going to be a LOT easier than the Master's assignments. Going through my Bachelor's, there was only one assignment that I had to resubmit more than once, as I am a grammar/spelling ****. With my Masters, I had to resubmit just about every assignment at least 2 to 3 times, and one of them 4. Definitely a challenge, but completely worth it to me. I felt great accomplishment afterwards.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • Options
    I'm trying to get my bachelors I'm thinking general IT. I have an AA Degree Comptia A+, Sec+, ITIL, CISSP did they waive all your gen Ed class with your Associates

• Options
    Yes, I have 4 Associates Degrees that I obtained prior to starting my Bachelor's at WGU. I received credit for every Gen Ed class that I would've had to take. The only classes I had to take were directly related to the technical content. I also already had my A+, Net+, and Security+, so those requirements were waived as well.