Does this sound like an entry level position to you guys?

rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does this sound like an entry level position to you guys?
This is from the CL job posting:

"We like to develop a junior engineer to become either expert in network or in network security, but the person must have right attitude to handle their workload or problem. We will provide you with a good environment to learn and thrive, and maintain a good balance for your personal life. This company has been around for 16 years, and have long time reference clients from Day 1. The responsibilities will be handling system integration for both internal and client support, then we will move to networking, and finally into network security, which we have over 12 years experience. We hope you have the passion for learning in IT, positive attitude to overcome challenges and the heart to develop your own future!

Public transportation with free shuttle connection, lots of parking, and beautiful bay view with public shoreline access right outside of building. Did I mention BEAUTIFUL VIEW from office!! icon_smile.gif "

BTW I have no IT experience just an A+ but landed an interview. Any Tips?
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
      The pay scale doesn't look "entry level"... definitely junior, but not necessarily straight-off-the-boat entry level. However, it sounds like they are focused on developing people rather than just hiring skillsets straight into the company. I would say that you have a decent chance at it, especially since you already got an interview, as long as they like your presentation and attitude.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
      CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
    • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
      The pay scale doesn't look "entry level"... definitely junior, but not necessarily straight-off-the-boat entry level. However, it sounds like they are focused on developing people rather than just hiring skillsets straight into the company. I would say that you have a decent chance at it, especially since you already got an interview, as long as they like your presentation and attitude.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
      Yeah I am definitely scared he might pull the "You don't have enough experience" card with me. My interview is tomorrow hopefully all goes well. I am definitely going to be honest in my abilities as I do not want to be put in a position to fail. Thanks for the input!
    • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
      Not sure what the pay scale is. (I don't see one). But, like the previous poster said. They asked you in for an interview. They wouldn't do that if your resumed showed that you weren't qualified. I'm sure there are plenty of people in San Jose with the skills and experience to do those tasks. But, they probably also want a corresponding higher salary. And, they probably would only stay around till someone offered them a higher salary.

So, they are looking a young person that is looking to make networking their career. That they can train in the way they do things. Of course, they also expect you to take a corresponding lower salary and work longer hours. Unfortunately, the San Francisco area is the highest cost of living in the country. So, I hope you live with your parents.

So, they are interviewing you to see what you look like and how you present yourself. So, dress nice and prepare your talking points.

And, if your doing your job or learning new skills, your not going to be looking at that beautiful view. So, get a good look at it. It might be a long time before you see it again.
    • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
      Sounds like a pretty cool opportunity. Let us know if you get it.
      CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
      Thanks for the advice guys! I will definitely update this thread post interview. Wish me luck
    • tientran11tientran11 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Good luck, please let me know how it goes.
    • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
      All the best.. good luck mate.
    • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
      CL is the way to go to find your first IT job. That is how I got my current one. As you said, just be honest and as long as you haven't stretched anything on your resume or cover letter, there shouldn't be any surprises.
      Update: I went to the interview everything went very smoothly had a nice talk with the CEO. Unfortunately they needed someone with more experience. It was worthwhile because the CEO gave me very insightful advice and it was worth getting some experience interviewing. Have another interview on Friday for Compucon but don't the job duties are pretty suspect.

Here are the job description:
      *This is a premium opportunity to start out in a Non-Technical position & prove yourself as an asset for more hands-on tech roles.
      Overview: Position includes working in the corporate asset center (warehouse type environment), doing computer / parts inventory and delivery around campus, often using a company vehicle. We look for people that are highly motivated to be a dedicated member of the team; individuals that provide superior customer service / support, and work well on a team as well as independently.
      Requirements:
      • Must have excellent customer service skills
      • Excellent verbal / written communication skills required
      • Knowledge of Microsoft OS/Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
      • Hours: 8am – 5pm shift Monday- Friday
      • Must be able to walk / sit / stand / crawl / kneel for extended periods
      • Must be able to pass 10 year criminal background check & drug screen
      • Clean driving record and valid driver’s license required
      • Required to wear steel-toed boots (one time reimbursement if you need to buy a pair before starting)
      • Physical requirements of position: ability to lift up to 50-70 lbs.
    • tientran11tientran11 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
      Thanks for the update! Gives me an idea of what kind of candidates they are looking for!
    • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
      rj1790 wrote: »
      Update: I went to the interview everything went very smoothly had a nice talk with the CEO. Unfortunately they needed someone with more experience. It was worthwhile because the CEO gave me very insightful advice and it was worth getting some experience interviewing. Have another interview on Friday for Compucon but don't the job duties are pretty suspect.

Here are the job description:
      *This is a premium opportunity to start out in a Non-Technical position & prove yourself as an asset for more hands-on tech roles.
      Overview: Position includes working in the corporate asset center (warehouse type environment), doing computer / parts inventory and delivery around campus, often using a company vehicle. We look for people that are highly motivated to be a dedicated member of the team; individuals that provide superior customer service / support, and work well on a team as well as independently.
      Requirements:
      • Must have excellent customer service skills
      • Excellent verbal / written communication skills required
      • Knowledge of Microsoft OS/Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
      • Hours: 8am – 5pm shift Monday- Friday
      • Must be able to walk / sit / stand / crawl / kneel for extended periods
      • Must be able to pass 10 year criminal background check & drug screen
      • Clean driving record and valid driver’s license required
      • Required to wear steel-toed boots (one time reimbursement if you need to buy a pair before starting)
      • Physical requirements of position: ability to lift up to 50-70 lbs.
      Do the interview if you want interviewing experience but dont bother with that job, that is not an IT position.
      TheFORCE wrote: »
      Do the interview if you want interviewing experience but dont bother with that job, that is not an IT position.
      I'm thinking this opportunity can turn into tech role. Have you had experience with compucon?
      I have not had experience with Compucon, but i have had experience with similiar roles were you are promised to be promoted to tech roles if you start with non-technical roles. My advice, do not do it, there are too many Helpdesk roles out there that you could be a fit for that the time spend on the above posting will be a waste of your time. Instead apply for more Helpdesk roles to get the experience and transferable skills in more advanced positions.
    • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
      Most companies who promise you something in the future forget about it the moment after you accept the current terms and conditions. I would avoid it. Unless you get IN WRITING "In 90 days we will begin training for the IT role" and within "120 days fully transitioned into Junior Engineer" I'd cut bait and move on.
      Got offered the position at Intel for a logistics and parts for the IT department. I was wondering if anyone from the Bay Area ever had experience working there?
      Did you accept? Being Intel that changes things a bit, there might be upward mobility there since you would have already gone through the screening process and so there might be room for internal advancement. Congratulations!
    • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
      rj1790 wrote: »
      I'm thinking this opportunity can turn into tech role. Have you had experience with compucon?

I have had experience with them and RUN AWAY from them... basically they will not train you and just throw you to the wolves. Its not a tech role at all, it is a break fix kind of role that you drive around to like target, hollister and fix printers and just order parts, then come back the next day and tinker with it again. You do get paid for mileage but its a HIGH turnover for that company.
      You will end up shadowing a older tech and then you get the jobs they don't want to do... im glad you decided to go with Intel its a much better company.
      In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
      “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
      TheFORCE wrote: »
      Did you accept? Being Intel that changes things a bit, there might be upward mobility there since you would have already gone through the screening process and so there might be room for internal advancement. Congratulations!
      Not yet I currently have a non tech position that pays more so I am on the border.
      ITSpectre wrote: »
      I have had experience with them and RUN AWAY from them... basically they will not train you and just throw you to the wolves. Its not a tech role at all, it is a break fix kind of role that you drive around to like target, hollister and fix printers and just order parts, then come back the next day and tinker with it again. You do get paid for mileage but its a HIGH turnover for that company.
      You will end up shadowing a older tech and then you get the jobs they don't want to do... im glad you decided to go with Intel its a much better company.
      Actually Compucom is the contractor for Intel so I will be technically working for Compucom.