Did any of you take classes or do most people just study from a book?

PragmaticZealotPragmaticZealot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was thinking about getting my A+ certification over the summer so that I can get an entry level job. I am pursuing an IT degree at a local university. Did most of you just use a study book or did any of you take classes for it? Also, is there any particular study book that you would recommend or are they all more or less equal?

Comments

• tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the A+ I took a class (I didn't pay for it). I think it costs like 1K. It was a beating. Basically someone reading a book to you and you follow along. I guess the only advantage is if you had a question. Anyway in my opinion, waste of time however depends of the certification. Seems with the CompTIA just get a book, watch youtube.
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I go to a technical school mostly to get hands on experience. We get to manage the entire campus so we always have projects and it really helped me get my A+. I used Professor Messer videos, Used notes/flashcards on an app called Quizlet, Played with an old computer around the house, and did Examcompass practice test until I scored 90% or higher
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the A+ 10 years ago and had taken a class at my local technical college but I felt like I could have passed it just by self study since after the class was over I just read over the book a few times and took some practice tests. I've never taken a class for any of the certifications I've gotten since then and have always been able to pass, but then again I've been working in the IT field for over 8 years now as well so I do have a decent amount of experience. When I took my A+ class I wasn't working in the field and although I feel I could have passed the exam without taking the class I'd still say it was beneficial.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I've taken college courses. However when I actually earned my A+ I'd been fixing/building/repairing PCs for about 12 years for family/friends, and professionally for 3 years. I didn't study at all. I took the WGU pre-test and got like an 85 on both, they released the vouchers and sat and passed the first time.