Which version of server 2012 r2 software for MCSA

Car0151337Car0151337 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know you can download and try 2012 r2 server for 180 for free, but I was thinking I might get a real copy to do further training and lab with, but which version should I buy if it is all going to be Hyper-V on one machine with many different VM's?

Thank you for your time

Comments

• DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2012 r2 Standard allows up to two VM's, the r2 DATACENTER version allows unlimited VM's. Either are downloadable from MS website and can be reinstalled after 180 days to continue testing.
  • Car0151337Car0151337 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    oh awesome, I didn't know you could reinstall them. so one trial copy of datacenter should keep me covered. Thank you so much
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've ran the same 2012 r2 standard install for 2 years at home without licensing and never nags me, just the watermark.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    I just started WGU as well
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    As long as it's R2... Datacenter vs. Standard is just licensing... All the same features! I graduated from WGU for BS/IT Management. Good luck! Oh and check out my youtube channel.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • illmortalizedillmortalized Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I've ran the same 2012 r2 standard install for 2 years at home without licensing and never nags me, just the watermark.

This.. I just have a watermark. Using DataCenter version (later on I will be joining a federation with a few other people on their home test labs).

But then again I've only had it installed for the last 3 weeks or so.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check this out since you are a student.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

Hopefully your school participates in this program.
    bohack wrote: »
    As long as it's R2... Datacenter vs. Standard is just licensing... All the same features! I graduated from WGU for BS/IT Management. Good luck! Oh and check out my youtube channel.

thank you I subscribed for sure. I like reading the text books and watching as many videos on the subjects I am reading to learn as much as possible. one of my biggest complaints about UoP was that I never learned anything, so I switched schools.
    Check this out since you are a student.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

Hopefully your school participates in this program.

thank you, I will ask.