will Network+ help get me an Job

Ris3Ris3 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all I'm currently seeking a job in IT, and have been grinding on certifications i have A+ and I'm working on Network+ i took the exam about a week ago and failed with a score of 700 i plan to retake it in a few weeks, my question is if i pass the exam will that be enough to get an job as a help desk/desktop support technician, i'v been working retail for about 8 years and i don't have enough money to go to college yet. i also volunteer at a place that refurbish and recycle PC's and parts for about 2 months now. i haven't really applied for anything because most of the qualifications requires either a college degree or about 2 years of experience or a combination of both. what else could i do to get my foot in the door what would any of you suggest i get, i do plan to get more certifications until i can get into college, after the net+ i plan to pursue the security+ certification. any help or suggestion is much appreciated

Comments

• LiteLite Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion - Not really. If you look at all of the Tech Support jobs on Dice.com you'll find that most ask for the A+, MCP, or CCENT. The Network+ is rarely requested.

Here is my advice to you -

***Look for staffing agencies. If those people like you they will work with you and find you a job where you can get entry level experience

***If you are working on your Associated degree or Bachelors, add those to your resume. Employer are always looking for someone who is working on their education.
  • Ris3Ris3 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    which Microsoft cert would you recommend for me to go for at this point?
    how do i earn an MCP?
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To Earn a MCP you just have to pass any MTA certification. MTA is good to get the basic knowledge, but it really wont help you get a job.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @=ITSpectre

I don't think MTA counts. It has to be a MCSA, MCSE, or MCSD.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
    @=byron66

MTA counts according to the Microsoft website... I have a MTA and I am a MCP
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    “The MTA certification is an MCP-qualifying certification, so when you pass your MTA you also meet the requirements for the MCP. It's a double whammy. By default, you will not receive a physical copy of your certificates.

*set up as a quote

Correction. The Microsoft website claims that the MTA is NOT a MCP granting cert.... but everyone I know including myself that took MTA certs automatically got the MCP cert as well....
    what microsoft cert should i get to 1) standout in my job search 2) help me through an day to day job. what would give me the best chance at performing the job a little better
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think that depends on what area you want to go.
  • JKWilliamsSrJKWilliamsSr Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A+ and Network+ should help you get an entry level position being as you are in Chicago. That is a very large city and therefore a lot of jobs should be available.
    what else would you suggest i do to improve my odds of landing a gig? college is out of the question for now until i can get enough money to pay for it
  • JKWilliamsSrJKWilliamsSr Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ris3 wrote: »
    what else would you suggest i do to improve my odds of landing a gig? college is out of the question for now until i can get enough money to pay for it

It is is all in how you market yourself. While there should be many jobs in Chicago you could run into the experience factor. There are many people in the IT Field that have years of experience and do not have any certifications. This is the one field where experience could very well trump education. I think you need to focus on entry level positions....such as help desk and tier 1 support positions. This will get you in the door and once there your certifications could carry some good weight.
    No, Network + is a scam but the new 3.0 CCENT is all you really need to do most jr to mid level network engineer and wireless network technician jobs. So there is always that.
    so finish NET+ and start CCENT/CCNA?
  • 8thdegreepwnologist8thdegreepwnologist Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My plan is A+----> N+ ----> CCENT ---->CCNA = Networking Job