CISSP - 4th Attempt - Plan

djasonslickdjasonslick Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting ready to start preparing for my 4th attempt at CISSP. Yes that's right # 4.
I took in June 2015 and scored a 617
August 2015 - scored a 677
February 2016 - scored a 691

The first two attempts I used Shon Harris AIO guide and CCCure quiz engine.
3rd attempt I used the new Sybex guide and listened to Cybrary videos.

My thought/plan as of now is to 1)re read Sybex - do the quiz questions again ( Not sure I got through them all last time) I was scoring in the 80% range before I sat for the test though. 2) Listen to cybrary (Kelly) class. It sounds like it's been updated with the 8 domain format and 3) Possibly subscribe to Skill Set training portal.
Any other suggestions/ideas/input greatly appreciated!!

Feel a little embarassed and slightly silly that I'm still working at this. Especially after all the yay I passed on 1st attempt posts. It is what it is.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Jason

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dude I just failed my 2nd attempt and scored 695! that is literally like 1 question if not half a question from passing which is a score of 700 as you know. This was a couple weeks ago. I am retaking it on June 24th (third attempt), I felt I rushed a couple batches of questions I probably should have taken my time on. I should I have passed in all honesty, a score of 695 under 4 hrs screams out "TAKE YOUR TIME DUDE! STOP GOING SO FAST!"

seriously they should have just given me a score of 699 for torture purposes ......lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yours must be the closest score that has been seen on TE.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    I should I have passed in all honesty, a score of 695 under 4 hrs screams out "TAKE YOUR TIME DUDE! STOP GOING SO FAST!"

seriously they should have just given me a score of 699 for torture purposes ......lol

They give you six hours for a reason.. use it. when i took the test, i used all six hours. maybe i could have finished in 4-5 hours but i wasnt willing to risk losing my money.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The plan is to read the questions and the answers carefully and understand what they are asking you.
  • SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    I just started Eric Conrad book about 10 days before the exam, after reading Sybex. Syngress/Eric's book is easier to read, more straight to the point, and I will read 11th hours again before the exam.

I feel that Sybex and CCCure together are quite a good sample of questions, but I guess nothing is like the real exam.

Finaly, this forum is an awesome and unlimited source of motivation!!!
    icon_cheers.gif
    Use it, post your progress, see that other people are suffering and are motivated, it is probably one the of the best tool around icon_thumright.gif
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Look out for the double negatives....
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the Eric conrad book 3rd edition
    Kelly Handerhan Videos (download the MP3 and play in your car)
    Transcenders where better testing questions
    try these
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First have a positive mindset going in. The night before, make sure you get a good nights sleep.

What I recommend is what I learned back in High School from one of my favorite teachers. It's the exact same practice that the Instructor for the CISSP course recommended and it deal with how you attack each question on the exam.

For each question read the answers first, then read the question. Then read the question again and identify the Adverbs and Adjectives. Look for words like, Best, Least, First, Physical, Technical, Administrative, Etc. Then looked at the answers again. Eliminate the obvious answers that do not match the Adverbs or Adjectives. Then make an educated Selection of the remaining answers. If you are not 75% sure of the answer, flagged the question and move on.

I recommend taking a break or two, especially after the first pass through the test. Go to the restroom, drink a bottle of water and eat a granola bar. Then go back and review your flagged questions.

Most importantly, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MANAGEMENT MINDSET WHEN YOU TAKE THE TEST.

I cannot stress this enough. If you take the test with a Technician or Engineer mindset...it's not going to work. CISSP is a Management Certification, not a SSCP or Security +.

Good Luck!
  • ragavansaragavansa Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sure you can do it next time. all the best :)
  • djasonslickdjasonslick Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    havoc64 wrote: »
    First have a positive mindset going in. The night before, make sure you get a good nights sleep.

What I recommend is what I learned back in High School from one of my favorite teachers. It's the exact same practice that the Instructor for the CISSP course recommended and it deal with how you attack each question on the exam.

For each question read the answers first, then read the question. Then read the question again and identify the Adverbs and Adjectives. Look for words like, Best, Least, First, Physical, Technical, Administrative, Etc. Then looked at the answers again. Eliminate the obvious answers that do not match the Adverbs or Adjectives. Then make an educated Selection of the remaining answers. If you are not 75% sure of the answer, flagged the question and move on.

I recommend taking a break or two, especially after the first pass through the test. Go to the restroom, drink a bottle of water and eat a granola bar. Then go back and review your flagged questions.

Most importantly, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MANAGEMENT MINDSET WHEN YOU TAKE THE TEST.

I cannot stress this enough. If you take the test with a Technician or Engineer mindset...it's not going to work. CISSP is a Management Certification, not a SSCP or Security +.

Good Luck!

Thanks Havoc - I tried to keep telling myself Management Mindset last time, but apparently I veered off on some of them still and was looking for the most technical/complicated answer.
  • djasonslickdjasonslick Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ragavansa wrote: »
    Sure you can do it next time. all the best :)

Thank you!!!